Saturday, October 14, 2006

Welcome to Cheers for Amanda! This is a site dedicated to our awesome daughter, Amanda. If you have come here, chances are that you know what a great person she is. Ok, ok, I may be prejudice here...mom's are allowed to be... but ask any one of her 5 brothers & sisters, loving extended family, or her friends at Christian Fellowship School and they will tell you the very same thing. If you don't know her well, maybe this site will help to give you a little glimpse into how very special we believe that she is.

Amanda is ....

Delightful! Funny! And way too pretty for her daddy's comfort! :-) She is an awesome cheerleader & soccer player (GO KNIGHTS!), sings in the choir (and in the kitchen with me...but that no more details will be given on that kitchen part) and, most importantly, she has the most incredible heart for her Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. She plans and already prepares for a future of service to Him and longs to go to Africa to begin. Amanda's life path is filled with love and joy, laughter and possibilities and now, we share with you that it also contains a dark area that holds for our beloved daughter, cancer.

So that each of you will know what led us to the creation of the site, I will give to you the details that have brought us to this point.

A short while ago, Amanda began to tell us that her left leg was bothering her. She said that she was having trouble sitting still in class (no offense to her teachers) but that her leg ached if she left it still for any length of time. Because she has recently begun Cheerleading practice for the fall basketball season, we thought it was muscle related. We cared for it as you would any strained or stretched muscle; however, it continued to bother her with the pain now also bothering her knee. I made an appointment with our family physician and an x-ray was taken of her knee. Everything looked fine in that x-ray and the Dr. & I discussed taking her to a Sports Physician who might be better trained to look for an athletic type of injury. An appointment was made for Monday, the 9th of October. Dr. Kinderknecht, an excellent sports physician, checked Amanda over and after talking with her about the pain she was having told us that she had all the symptoms of pressure or damage to the sciatic nerve in her lower back. His concern was that it is very unusual for an athlete of Amanda's age to hurt that nerve. After talking privately with me, Dr. Kinderknecht asked permission to order an MRI to get a better look at Amanda's lower back to try and better clarify the source of her pain.

Amanda and I headed over to Regional Hospital and an MRI was done that afternoon. Monday evening, Dr. Kinderknecht called our home. His words were ones that no parent ever wants to hear. He found a growth in the pelvic area of our little girl. He told me that he wanted us to see a specialist immediately and that he was already working to make arrangements for a Dr. that he believed was the very best one to see Amanda. On Tuesday we received a call that told us we were to leave for Overland Park, Kansas the next morning to meet a Dr. Howard Rosenthall. He is the head of one of the best sarcoma institutes the nation.

Wednesday found us at Menorah Medical Institute meeting with Dr. Rosenthall and praying for the safety and the very future of our little girl. Dr. Rosenthall and his staff were wonderful to us and immediately got to work taking care of Amanda. More x-rays were taken and appointments were scheduled for Thursday. We spent Wednesday night in Kansas City sharing a new experience with Amanda (the Cheesecake Factory was awesome!), loving every moment that we had together laughing and counting (the counting part is a private memory for us) and all the while silently begging God to grant wisdom for her Dr.'s and for Him to please stay very close to our precious daughter.

Thursday morning found us back at Menorah. Dr. Rosenthall scheduled a biopsy procedure for Amanda early that afternoon. Later that afternoon Larry and I sat together as her Dr. broke to us the news no parent should ever hear, that our precious child has a rare form of childhood bone cancer known as Osteosarcoma. (For more information on this type of cancer you may check out the website of Sarcomas - Definition, Description, Causes and symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Prognosis, Prevention, Parental concerns ) Her tumor is located in the area of her left pelvic bone where the hip ball and joint join the pelvic bone.

After Amanda was out of recovery and back in her room, Larry and I talked with our daughter and shared with her what the Dr. had found. She had the most incredible spirit and simply asked, "Can we fight it?" We both answered her, "ABSOLUTELY" and she rested in her trust of us and that answer.

Now that we knew what we were facing, Larry and I faced the need to break the news to our family and friends. Top of our list were five very important parts of Amanda's life, her brothers and sisters. After Amanda was comfortable, we decided together that I would come back to Columbia and break the news to our other children in person. Larry spent a precious evening & night with Amanda at Menora so that she was never alone. Back in Columbia, Joshua, Haley, Abby, Anna and Caleb became my priority. They needed and they had the right to hear it first, from a parent, before the news was spread to others who also loved Amanda. Thursday evening, October 12th, 2006, found me with five of our beloved children gathered together as we grieved and comforted each other with hope and promises of God's provision. With that done, Larry and I began to make calls.

On Friday the final pieces of Amanda's prognosis were completed. Caleb travelled with me as we headed back to Overland Park that morning to rejoin Amanda and Larry. A CT scan and a full body bone scan were completed and we settled in to wait for their results. 5:30 p.m. seemed to take forever but finally, we were able to meet back with Dr. Rosenthall for our final consultation. Praise be to our Heavenly Father as we thanked him for a report that told us her cancer had not spread to distant sites. With that good report we were finally released and headed back to Columbia with our daughter.

Well, I know that may have taken you a bit to read through, but we wanted to get the details out that would help people to understand the path that has brought us to this point.

And so, welcome to Cheers for Amanda. You will find medical updates here, a place to send messages of cheer and encouragement to Amanda and our ongoing prayer requests. Please visit often as I know that Amanda will love to find happy messages from those who care for her and we will be thankful to have you keep our prayer requests before the Lord. And so, as I end, I ask for you to join with us as we pray for 1) Peace, comfort and healing for our precious daughter, Amanda. 2) Peace and protection for Joshua, Haley, Abby, Anna & Caleb - her brothers and sisters - as they grieve this news and as they walk this path along with their beloved sister. 3) God's presence and comfort for Larry & I as we lean on Him and learn to trust Him as He holds our child during this time, 4) for Amanda & Caleb's friends at CFS and our extended family that they will be comforted in their concerns and fears and finally, 5) that we, the McDaniel family, will walk through this time in a way that will bring glory to our Heavenly Father.

Thank you.
Prayers for my precious daughter are both coveted and believed in,
Denise

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Denise,
Thank you for sharing your families walk through the valley with us. I know that the Lord will be your staff and comfort. I also know that God is not looking down on your family, He is there with you, holding you in His arms. Obviously we are all praying for healing, but as you have asked, we are also praying for wisdom. Walking with God through the fight against a strange desease that seems so wrong and so unfair... it is the walk and the faith which becomes right, not the physical fight. I wish we could all answer the why questions, but ultimately all that can be answered is who will be at your side through the struggle. I know that God is Amandas Rock and Fortress! I also know that NOTHING can seperate her from the love of God!! You and your family are awesom!!! I will lift you all up each day in prayer for complete physical healing, and complete spiritual comfort!!!

By the way, I hope that you and Amanda are not grading on spelling since I am not spell checking this. :)

Denise McDaniel said...

Andy - your words are a promise we are clinging to at this time. Thanks for your prayers and your friendship. They both mean so much to us. Your spelling "issues" are safe with me...truth is I couldn't figure out how to even do spell check in this program and how to go to word to check my spelling and then come back and correct it. Unbelievable! lol

Anonymous said...

Dear Denise,
After sharing Amanda's story with my friend Helen she went to Bible study and asked for prayer. Right away one of the ladies, Greta, mentioned that she had a granddaughter,Kara, with a rare form of bone cancer living in England with her missionary parents.Greta offered to share her email address so that if you wanted to ask any questions or just visit with someone who knows what you are going through you could contact them. The email address is wardsiert@yahoo.com Hope this is helpful. Cheers for Amanda is great! Continued prayers--Jeanne Hildebrandt

Anonymous said...

Amanda,

Glad to hear the encouraging news that you will be cured! If I can be of any support when it comes to the reality of the therapy, let me know. It will all be over and done before you know it!

Love,
Nancy

Mary said...

Hi Amanda,
I had a comment all typed out and thought I had sent it and now I don't see it so it might not have gone through. Grandpa and I are praying for you everyday and for your family. Alot of different people in Cedar Rapids are doing the same. It will be three years in Nov. that I was diagnosed with Cancer and I can relate to what you must be feeling.
We love you and look forward to following your progress.
Love, Grandma Mary and Grandpa Bill

Anonymous said...

Amanda, Mcdaniel family, you are in my prayers. I know it must be difficult, but God has a plan. He is in control of everything. God loves Amanda like His own, because she is His. I know that much of what I say is what you already know, but sometimes it's good to here. God will provide. I send much love to your family, and I am here to support you all. God bless!
-Nathan Redelfs

Anonymous said...

Denise,
What an amazing site! I feel blessed and grateful to know and love your family. In the last few years my path has been learning to ask for help, because I did that, I have been blessed beyond all measure as has Nikki with the struggles we have faced. It has enabled me to raise her to adulthood. I know that you know you are not alone, but I want to officially let you know that Nikki and I are in this with you, praying for grace, healing, and strength. We too will lift you up daily in prayer and have shared with our local church family the struggle so they to will pray. No two situations are ever the same, so I hope you will exercise the freedom to let us know what is helpful and what is not as you have needs arise....as we want to offer support that embraces your family and affirms you are loved...not always sure how to do that, but we love all of you and will fervently pray for wisdom and healing. Call anytime-if you need anything, your mom has our cell numbers and home number. By the way, Nikki is driving her own car to college each day and all of the cats are still alive.....Laura

Anonymous said...

Amanda-
I know you have no idea who I am, but my roommate is your cousin Nicki Kohl. She shared your story with me, and told me to read your blog. I wanted to let you know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers throughout this process.

"If God brings you to it, He'll bring you through it."

Best of luck & God's Speed,
Alicia Mireles

Unknown said...

Denise,
Your mom just sent me an email with this site attached. I had no idea that this was happening with your family. I was so touched and amazed by the profound and beautiful messages that you and your husband have written about your Amanda. I can only imagine how I would feel if it were my Amanda, or Nate or Claire that was going through the same thing. Who or what is more precious that your child? Only our God, of course, and I will be praying that He will surround all of you with His love and care. We have a number of people in our circle of friends that are battling cancer right now.
One is a 19 year old friend of Claire's who has non-Hodgekins lymphoma and is going through chemo now also.
Anyway, just know that Gary and I and the kids will be praying with all of you for your prayer requests and a speedy healing for Amanda. I will try to keep up with the updates. Thank you for reminding me of what true Christianity sounds like.
Love,
Teresa
(Cy's daughter)

Anonymous said...

I just read this and relized that God answered every one of your prayers!!! He is sooo amazing and God wathed over Amanda this whole time!! I love Amanda she is such an awesome friend that I have and I am soooo glad that she is in my life!!!

~ Maddie