Thursday, October 19, 2006

It's Thursday Evening - we are finally home

What a day. Little did we know that these 3 appointments, beginning at 11:30 this morning, would mean that we would not arrive back home until almost 7:00 this evening. We are exhausted. But I know that many of you have been praying and anxiously waiting to hear how Amanda's appointments with her Columbia team went today and so I want to take time to share our day with you. Thank you for the prayers that were prayed on behalf of this day and let me get you all filled in.

We headed down to University Hospital for an 11:30 meeting with her Columbia Dr. Dr. Barbara Gruner will be her primary physician. Your prayers on behalf of her Dr's was certainly answered. While discussing Amanda's history, Dr. Gruner mentioned that the pathologist who would be reviewing Amanda's case was Dr. Ellis Ingram. Then while in with the Dr., Cindy Brooks, who is the head of the Pediatric Dept. at the University - please excuse me if I do not have that title quit right - stopped by to check on us (sorry we didn't get a chance to talk). What a wonderful reminder to Larry and I that God is watching out for our precious daughter even in surrounding her with a team of spirit filled christian doctors and administrators. (For those of you who are unaware, both Dr. Ingram and Mrs. Brooks are members of our church, have had or currently have children in our school and are deeply respected by Larry and I.) We are so thankful.

Now for the news we received today.

It is time for our daughter to begin her medical battle against this cancer. (I say "medical" because I believe that on the spiritual side of this Christian's everywhere have already taken up the fight on her behalf. ) We were told that Amanda will need to have her port-a-cath placed early tomorrow morning. Thankfully she will be able to come back home after it is placed. Amanda will be given a couple days to rest and then at some point on Monday ( we don't have that appointment time yet) she will go in for a few "pre-chemo" tests they want to do before beginning. We can expect to begin chemo following those - so early next week.

Following that news, we were then taken to meet an anesthesiologist, the surgeon who will place the port and the pre-registration desk.

Amanda was amazing. She had a lot of listening, a lot of information to try and process, and many people who just "needed to check her". It was a very long day. She remained calm, and kind and even maintained enough joy in her spirit to serenade Larry and I with a small medley of Broadway hits while we waited to see one of the doctors. :-0 By midway through the day she was exhausted. One note of praise was that because we had a long delay before one of the appointments, she and I were able to cuddle up in a couple of waiting room chairs and catch a quick nap. O.k., o.k., I am not certain that is worthy of praise, but we are looking for every bright spot we can find! :-)

We were finally dismissed and very glad to be heading back home. Amanda is tired tonight, but being home feels great to her and she and her siblings are having supper (thanks Lori Kohl), doing homework and currently, laughing as she and Abigail hook up an old Sega game station. The sound of my daughter's laughing together is a wonderful balm to my heart right now.

Tonight there are so many different emotions, fears and concerns in my heart, it is hard to know how to ask you to pray. But please do. First, please pray for Amanda and for tomorrow morning. This is the first big step for Amanda as she prepares for chemo. Pray that she will remain calm and that she will not be afraid. Pray for the surgeon as he puts this port into our child's chest. Pray for every nurse and doctor who will have a role in that and that God will allow it to proceed with no complications and as very little discomfort to our daughter as possible. Pray that God will make His comfort and presence very real to her.

Second) Please pray for Joshua, Haley, Abby, Anna & Caleb. The reality of this disease feels both frightening and unsettling to them. Pray that God will grant peace and connection to Joshua and Haley as they battle the desire to be here but balance the responsibility of their current college responsibilities. Being away is very difficult (especially for Haley down in Bolivar) and we want them surrounded with blessings, support and comfort where they are. For Abby, Anna and Caleb, pray that God will give me the strength and the wisdom to keep their worlds as secure and "routine" as possible. I would ask that God allow them special blessings at this time that remind them they are loved and valued as they carry the pressures of trying to go on in school and their "normal" activities and still balance the concern they have for Amanda.

Third) For Larry and I as we struggle not to give into fear or anger. This is our little girl whom we dearly love. You understand. Pray that we would feel his comfort, His very presence at this time.

Fourth) For Amanda's extended family and friends that they too would be comforted and supported during this time.

My daughter's have gotten that game system working in the next room. It sounds like an awful lot of fun in there right now. I think it's time for me to wipe these tears and go join them. I treasure that laughter.


For your continued support and acts of kindness, I ask for God's blessing to you. For your continued prayers, I beg please.

Denise

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey miss amanda
its ruthie again..lol
i just wanted to let you know once again how important you are to me and what a blessing and encouragement you are in my life. we are praying fervently that you will be healed and we are going to trust God for complete and total restoration. i love you soooo much amanda, again, you are so precious to me.

Anonymous said...

Hey McDaniel Clan,
Just a note to let you know we are here with you.....praying that every need you have emotionally, spiritually, financially, and medically will be met and provided for before you even notice. Most of all I pray for that laughter that allows you room to breathe and to revel in the love you all share as well as that tenacious McDaniel tendency to live life to the fullest.....when I think of all of you the words boundless energy, joy, laughter, and enthusiasm always come to mind. Audrey has left Peaches and the Birds in our care and when I went to check on them all that comes to mind is the old Sylvester and Tweety Bird cartoons as Peaches continues to plot how to open the cage to eat the birds. I'm thinking as long as I like birds better than cats the birds have a fighting chance.....the cat though...that might be a different story. Love from our home to yours. ;-)

Unknown said...

hey family... i'll see you all tomorrow. love and hugs.

Uncle Dan said...

McDaniel Family

Keya & I are thinking of you. A verse I have used in my times of trouble and has always given me strength is 1Corinthians 10;13 "Every test that you have experienced is the kind that normally comes to people. But God keeps his promise, and he will not allow you to be tested beyond your power to remain firm; at the time you are put to the test, he will give you the strength to endure it, and so provide you with a way out". On a lighter note, I hope the game staion match turned out well for you Amanda. (sorry Abby) As they say laughter is the best medicine.

Anonymous said...

hey family!
I just wanted again for you all to know that JBU is praying for you amanda and your entire family. God is with all of you during this time. And dont forget if you ever need to talk my mother will never turn down any type of conversation!

Harrisonville Kohls said...

Hey Amanda,

The Kohl’s in Harrisonville, MO are praying for you! Jonathan and Ethan pray every night before they go to bed that God would heal you. We also have the students at my Christian School praying for you as well. We pray that the process today will go well. If you ever need to come back to Kansas City and need a place to stay we are about 40 minutes from Overland Park (still a little bit of a trip I know). We would be happy to accommodate any of the McDaniel clan! Just let us know.
Lots of Love,
Jake, Paula, Jonathan and Ethan Kohl

DebbieK said...

Amanda, Denise, and Larry,
I was thinking about you all day on Thursday, and it was all I could do to keep from calling for an update. Thanks so much for keeping this blog updated! It's very nice to have a way to check on you without being a bother! We love you guys and are praying for you all the time. We are confident that Amanda is going to come through this challenge better and stronger than ever with an amazing testimony! We are with you.