Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Some Answers to Some Questions

There are some questions that I have seen in the blog comments that I have not answered as I have written to update you regarding Amanda and this journey that we are on. I apologize for that. Please let me try and answer some of them now.

1) Why does she have to stay in the hospital for chemo?
The chemo drugs that Amanda is taking are very strong. She needs to be closely monitored while she is receiving such a large dose. Along with the chemo itself, Amanda is continually given fluids to hydrate her system, anti-nausea drugs to help with some of the side effects of the chemo, and other things that will help her to tolerate the chemo effects better.

2) Can she have visitors?
Yes. This first day we intentionally kept rather quiet because we wanted to be ready for any emotional or physical effects that Amanda might face as she took her first chemo treatment. Amanda loves her friends and family and visits are nice. Although she felt good today, as more and more of the chemo goes into her system, she may not always feel as well. Please know that if you would like to visit with her, you may stop by. If she is resting or doesn't feel well, we ask your understanding in keeping your visit short or by choosing to come back at another time. Remember, Amanda will have many of the chemo/hospital stays and so there will be many more opportunities to visit with her. If you have any questions as to whether or not it is a good time to visit, you may call ahead and we will be happy to let you know.

3) Where is she?
Amanda is in the Adolescent Ward in University Hospital. This is found on the 6th floor East. Her room number is 45, or to be more technically correct about it, 6E-45. Although Ellis & the University are part of the same cancer group, this is where youth from ages 12 -21 come when they have to stay for their treatments and chemo.

4) Can I bring her a treat?
Yes! Amanda has no restrictions to her diet. She is free to eat whatever she would like. Please know that there will be times that she does not feel good and food may not seem appealing to her, but she will be the one to guide that.

5) How can you help us?
Pray. Pray. Pray. We believe firmly in the power of prayer and our precious daughter is going to need the powers of those prayers as she fights this battle. As for our family, keeping us all in your prayers, remembering also Amanda's siblings during this time and praying for peace and grace for our family as we adjust not only to concerns and grief of Amanda's diagnosis, but also as we work through the scheduling demands would be a wonderful gift to us.

I know that there may be more questions I have missed. Please ask again and I will try and answer anything that I can.

Your prayers on behalf of my precious daughter and all of my children are both coveted and believed in,

denise

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Denise and Larry, thank you for allowing all of us to be brought in so closely to your family and the details of Amanda's treatment.

Many times I have told friends that the most difficult part of the Lord's Prayer are the words "Thy will be done", and we will not know until He comes again why this event is His will. Perhaps this is preparation for something truly great that God has chosen for Amanda in her future.

My prayers are with all of you.

Michael Perkins MSW, LCSW said...

Something like this floors you. As I stand on the side lines and watch what my friend is going through I can only feel awe, fear, and trembling. Small. I want to go watch my own two girls sleep, and rid myself of all of the stuff that does not matter so much but over which I spend so much time. When I heard this news I reread the book of Job which is one of the most mysterious books of the Bible. But, there were no answers there just as there were no answers for Job. This is beyond anything I can understand. My faith teaches me that it is okay to argue with God. So, on behalf of Amanda I am.