It is Sunday night...oops!....early Monday morning (yes Dan I am still up) and I wanted to add a post here that would give you all an update as to what Amanda's week might look like.
After having her port put in on Friday morning, we looked forward to a quiet weekend. Amanda did well recovering from her procedure (for which we thank you for your prayers) and was able to spend time this weekend with both family (Saturday afternoon found her with her Keil family) , friends (there was a spa treatment with some girlfriends today...but I don't think they want me to give you the details of the blueberry yogurt and the wax...enough said) and of course, here at home with her siblings and mom and dad. Haley was able to come home for the weekend and the sisters found time for giggling, secrets, flying carpets, and bunking down all together. For me, as their mom, their laughter and these memories are priceless.
Amanda will spend most of Monday at University hospital having a variety of tests done. These tests will give her Dr's and nurses a baseline rate so that they will know what is "normal" for her after she begins to feel the effects of her chemo. Following the completion of those, Amanda will get to come back home for Monday night. We anticipate that we will begin her chemo treatments on Tuesday, but have not yet had that confirmed for us. I guess we will find out tomorrow. We do now know that Amanda will have to stay in the hospital for her chemo treatments. The first treatment takes 3 days.
My prayer requests tonight are first and always that God would heal my little girl. That He make Himself very real to her and that He will always, no matter what path He asks us to follow, give her peace and comfort & rest. It is becoming increasingly difficult for Amanda to find a comfortable position while lying down for sleep. Please pray that God will grant her comfort and the ability to get the good rest she needs each night.
Second) For these days that hold the beginning of the chemo battle, we covet your prayers. Pray that God give the Dr's wisdom as they prescribe and treat our daughter. Pray that Amanda's body will stay physically strong and will have as few side effects as possible. Pray that the cancer in her body will be destroyed by this treatment.
Third) Continue to remember Joshua, Haley, Abby, Anna & Caleb that God will grant them peace and protect their hearts and minds as they must watch their sister fight this battle and yet continue to carry out their school and extra curricular activities.
And speaking of prayers, I want to add that I know you are praying for us. There are times when I believe we can almost actually feel it. Each of your prayers is worth more than gold to us and I want to thank you for them and ask you to please continue to uphold us with them. A very special thank you tonight to a group of ladies in Olathe, Kansas who knit or crochet prayer shawls. They gather together, once a month, to create beautiful shawls. While they are together they take all of the shawls they are making and they pray individually for each one and for the person that will one day wear it. Through Amanda's friend, Ruthie, they learned of Amanda and tonight two of the ladies from the group came to Columbia to share their story with us, some words of encouragement and to pray in person with Amanda. It was so very dear of them and meant so much to us. It was another reminder that through the kind hearts of you, our friends and family, many people are praying for our daughter. Thank you to the ladies of the Prayer Shawl Ministry group and thank you to each of you who has shared of our daughter's diagnosis and has asked others to pray. There is no way for me to adequately thank you or repay you...I instead ask that God, in His wisdom, will bless you over and over.
Believing that God answers prayers, yours remain coveted on behalf of our precious daughter,
Denise
Monday, October 23, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
I have already shared this story with amanda via the phone, but I just wanted to inform the rest of the family that daily I have several JBU students who have no idea who amanda is come up to me and ask me if I have any updates on what is going on, and to remind me that they continue to pray for her and your family.
Amanda,
We are all thinking of you today. Hang in there kido I know you will do fine. Give your Mom & Dad a hug, and tell your Mom to go to bed.
Hi Amanda!
I am praying for you and so are some of my friends. You can win this battle! Make the hospital a fun place. We love you!
We're all wondering, but maybe you don't know yet???...how often will Amanda have to do these 3 day hospital stays? Will it be at University or Ellis Fishcel? and will they allow visitors during that time, or will she need to stay pretty isolated? Wow - sorry to bombard you with questions - but we've got some girls that will be wanting to visit if they can; but I don't want it to be a problem. You all are in our thoughts and prayers moment by moment...
Lori K.
I'm glad I'm not the only one with questions. Do you get to stay at the hospital with her? How does that work? Do you need anything at home? I know the kids are older and can fend for themselves, but how can we help? Please lean on us and allow us to support you. Your names are continually breathed in prayer. Thank you so much for keeping us updated on the website. That allows me to know specifics of how to pray without feeling like I'm intruding. We love you all dearly.
Tammy
Hey I was just wondering if there was a way that i can come see Amanda in the hospital? If there is PLEASE let us know!
hey mandapanda
its ruthie im sorry i missed you at school this afternoon. i got many compliments on my nails lol
and yes my hands are still smooth how bout yours? lol :) well im praying 4 you and im coming to see you kay? i love you sooo much
Amanda,
-I'm Kim Westfall's husband, just so you'll know who's sending this. You can blame her for giving me access to this site -
This will be quite the journey where you will become much closer to Mom & Dad. I remember 16 years ago when I had brain cancer - yes, I was lucky, no vital organs were at risk - Kim & I drew very close together. Now you and your folks will have this time to get to know each other like you never dreamed you would. You'll love 'em.
I never went through chemotherapy, just radiation therapy. I lost hair over my ears; that was kind of odd. What was kind of funny was to be in San Antonio, Texas, with oodles and gobs of Mexican and Tex-Mex restaurants, and for weeks the radiation had me craving Italian food!
Finally, Jesus really carried us through it all. Made us stronger, closer. Be glad you have such faithful parents from a God whose love never fails. Like us, you'll see Him carrying you every step along the way.
David Westfall
hey amanda,
i just wanted to say hi and tell you that my whole family is praying for you! I'm so glad that your hangin in there. stay strong in the Lord and say he to Caleb for me.
-jonjon penn
Regarding the hospital type questions, the chemo is at University Hospital. We are supposed to be there to start the process at 9:00 a.m. on Tuesday. As far as I know at this point, it will last three days. Then, after 2-3 weeks, there will be another round of different stuff that will be pretty harsh, and will require longer stays. One parent gets to stay with her during the nights. I will probably be the one who does the most of that. During the days, assuming Amanda feels up to it, visitors should be fine and I'm sure Amanda would love the company of friends. Denise will probably post something soon that may give more definitive details.
Larry and Denise.....I am now retired and since we live right here in Columbia, PLEASE feel free to call on me if any of your children need transportation somewhere when you are unavailable to provide it. ALL of you guys have been and will continue to be in our daily prayers. Our current church plus our previous church in Huntsville are praying also. May God continue to watch out for and bless you richly day by day. Faye
Post a Comment