Wednesday, October 25, 2006

lessons

As I sit here tonight in this hospital room, watching my little girl try to get some rest and reprieve from the pain and nausea, a million things are running through my mind. Mostly that this is not fair and I wish I could go fight some battle somewhere to defeat this thing called cancer ... no matter how brutal it might be, I would fight and die a thousand deaths to win the freedom of my little girl from this terrible thing. Where are the enemy warriors, that I might slay them? Where is the land to be taken, that I might invade it? Where is the king of this thing called cancer, that I might drive a spear through his heart? Where are the secrets of this disease hidden, that I might expose their darkness to a light that will render them in complete subjection.

But, this is not the way it is. And so ... we sit and wait and pray and hope and plead and cry and beg and who knows what else ... hoping that somehow, it will matter ... that it will make a difference. And we are very thankful when we hear of all the others (friends and family) who are likewise interceding on behalf of Amanda. It seems to me that it would only take one prayer for her healing to be answered, and it would be so. One answered prayer, out of the hundreds and thousands that are being prayed ... just one ... and it would be so. Surely, it would seem, out of all the prayers for healing that are being prayed, God would answer at least one. It doesn't have to be mine ... I don't care whose it is. Is there not one?

It is also at times like this that God finds ways to teach us new things, or remind us of previous lessons that have been forgotten. When we soften our hearts in search of God instead of harden our hearts in anger at the circumstances, He has things for us to learn.

  • I've learned that dads are not very brave ... not compared to their little girls. My little girl faces her pain and nausea and all the rest with courage and determination. Her dad is a wreck.
  • I've learned that there should be a kind of prayer that rings into heaven on some kind of important red phone like the President has at the White House. A kind of prayer where God stops whatever He is doing and says to all the hosts of heaven, "Just a sec, I gotta take this one."
  • I've learned that a bunch of stuff I used to think mattered, doesn't matter at all.
  • I've learned that at times like this, I pour so much of myself into loving my family that I have no energy left for hating my enemies.
  • I've learned that some of the real hero's in this town are nurses working the night shift.
  • I've learned that I no longer care about what is happening in this world. I only care about what is happening in this room.
  • I've learned that I actually hate cancer about 47 times as much as I recalled.
  • I've learned that I truly believe cancer is one of those "things" that will perish for eternity in hell .... somehow .... someway .... "something" called cancer will suffer forever.
  • I've learned that "Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked."
  • I've learned that it is wonderful to hold the hand of my child. She doesn't even have to be awake ... just to hold her hand is a rich blessing.
  • I've learned that I wish there was a way God could hold my hand, now. I wonder if Jesus ever held the hand of anyone? I think in heaven, people will hold hands a lot. I've never really cared for touchy-feely stuff like that, but holding the hand of my children is so special, I'm sure we should be doing more of it.
  • I've learned that there are very few things that are actually urgent ... except perhaps, holding someone's hand.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Larry, Jesus is holding your hand. Just look at Amanda's hand that you are holding and remember that Jesus is in her, so he too is holding your hand.

It is written: "Ask and it shall be delivered unto you". My faith tells me that not only will your prayers be answered but that all the prayers lifted up for Amanda will be answered. But God has His own time table and His own purpose for this challenge he has placed upon Amanda and every life she touches.

I will continue too pray for mercy in Amanda's suffering. As well my prayers go up for you and your family.

Kevin

mrg said...

Larry, my brother, as I sit in my office and read your note, I am grateful for your words that call to mind the important, and not the urgent. I am grateful that you exposed your heart to the rest of us and reminded us/me that those "giants" in our lives really don't amount to very much. The real giants, and they are much larger than we realize, are the people God has placed in our lives, those closest to us indeed. As you shared, Amanda is definitely one of those quiet giants. You wouldn't have necessarily known it until you take a look at her now. So brave, so strong in the face of her battle.

Yet, I see a giant in you as well, Larry. It is no small man that openly admits he is broken by the pain of his child. That humbly admits, "I need a Savior". Who, without hesitation, declares his identity is not found in what he does or makes, but it is found in those he loves the most.

Larry, you, and Denise and Amanda, and the rest of the McDaniel gang are giants in my eyes. I humbly look up to you and say, I want to be like those guys when I grow up!

We do hold you up, close to the Fathers heart. That you may not only know, but feel His presence with you as you walk down this path you find yourself on.

Love you all immensely!

Anonymous said...

Denise, Larry, Amanda and Family

I have been so busy with school and family that I do not get the chance to check this site as often as I would like. I think it is a wonderful idea and when I do get the chance to check I am able to read such wonderful things!

Denise & Larry, please know that you are in our hearts and prayers every day. We pray that the Lord will fill you with his grace and help you find the strength to see it all through. That he will lift you up and calm your hearts.

Amanda, your story is one of great strength and a big heart. I pray that the Lord continues to lift you up and give you the strength to beat this, the patience to understand and the love of your family and friends.
We are praying for you all every day. May the Lord be with you...to always hold your hand and to walk with you during this time.

Dori & Mike

Blessing
We love you all

Mary said...

Dear Larry and Denise,
Your dad and I are so interested in your many updates of the family and Amanda. One of the questions we have is how often will Amanda have to have chemo and for how long.
Uplifting you all in prayer,
Grandpa Bill and Grandma Mary

Anonymous said...

Just want you to know we love you and are praying for Amanda and you and all the family. As I read your comments about the battle and wishing you could fight -- I remembered many years ago when you introduced us to the song "The Battle Belongs to the Lord." I also know your statement about Dad's not being brave is so true as I know how much Lloyd cares for his children.

Hang in there --

Elaine

Anonymous said...

McDaniel Family,
I share this story to testify to the nearness of God in the struggle. Four years ago I began my own journey, and discovered quickly the weariness of facing treatments, procedures, and pain. One day I was really tired of it all and I knelt down in front of my armchair. I was SO very tired and feeling pretty alone in it all. What I needed more than anything was to sense God's presence and to see that He cared about me. So as I knelt down to pray I was crying out to God and finally asked Him for tangible proof that He knew the pain, the nausea, the awfulness of it all....at that point nothing sounded very appetizing except homemade chicken noodle soup - so I begged God to have someone bring chicken noodle soup and for good measure I asked for flowers. I also told God that I would not discount it as a coincidence but as a sign of Him caring about the "little" things. At that point I determined not to tell anyone and begged God to provide comfort and an assurance of His presence in my pain. By 3 pm, a woman from our church called and asked if she could bring me a large pot of homemade chicken noodle soup. Within the next 3 hours I received several large bouquets that flooded my house with fragrance. This was at one of my lowest points, when discouragement weighed heavy and it seemed like a never-ending struggle. I like to believe that even if God hadn't moved others on my behalf that I would feel the same way, but truthfully that moment I knew that God was in it with me, with my daughter, and that He was walking with me, holding my hand, blessing me with simple comforts in a long battle. Even as I write this I sense this little girl like quality in me that marvels that He really does love me, He cares about my needs, and even just comforts to know that I am not alone.
We continue to pray and marvel at the ripple effect of this website to draw all of us together, one family, one Father and testify to His love in the middle of it all.

Laura Gnatek