This morning I wrote about yesterday and how well our day started. Wow, how quickly it all changed.
Shortly after I blogged, Amanda awoke from a short nap. Instantly I knew something was wrong. She was shaking and sweating. A thermometer quickly confirmed a temperature of 103.8. Everything started happening quickly. Ice packs were brought in to begin to cool her, doctors were notified and I wiped tears (hers and mine)while holding her hand and helping to calm her.
Cultures were taken from a variety of sites to determine any infection and a portable x-ray machine came up for an "inside" view. Fluids, Tylenol and rainbow sherbet were started as we watched and waited.
A couple of hours passed before the first reports came back. Final cultures will take at least 48 hours before we will know their conclusive results; however, a urine test showed no sign of bacteria or a raised counts. That was very good news as it was the first glimpse that this was not an infection. This causes our Dr's to think that it is a delayed response to the surgery. Late fevers can occurs following surgery and they are now treating this as such. The x-ray result was a different story as it confirmed that Amanda's right lung has collapsed. This commonly occurs after a lung surgery and so although they do not consider it a "crisis" it is a set back to her recovery time. Respiratory therapy was begun later this afternoon to try and push air into the lung in hopes of re-inflating it.
Everyone is watching her closely and continually monitoring her temperature. In fact, I now have my own MD Anderson thermometer so that I can take it myself if I get nervous and then report to a nurse when I want her to know what it has registered. Amanda felt well this afternoon, ate well and was even able to get up and out of her bed for a short time. But the temp has never completely gone away and so we continue to watch closely and be aware. I have used my thermometer a lot.
There was some good news in the midst of this day. Amanda's lung is not "leaking" meaning it has alread sealed itself from the surgery and so they began the process to seal the incision area and believe that they will be able to remove the drainage tube that comes out of the incision site. That will help make it much easier for her to lay back and rest.
As I write, Amanda is already sleeping. Her temp is right around 100.5 and so I am watching as she rests. This day has been long and frustrating to her. I am thankful she is sleeping and pray for a calm night.
His mercies are new everyday....good.
We need a new day filled with mercy.
Currently this is my favorite promise.
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Goodness, I'm sure this was of GREAT concern to all of you. Continue leaning on His promises and we'll continue lifting all of you up in prayer. Faye
I pray that Amanda's temperature will come down, that her lung will reinflate, and for a peaceful day for both of you. God's mercies are new every morning! Thank you for keeping us up to date so we know how to pray specifically.
Melanie
Hang in there Amanda and Denise! HE is with you and WE are too! Sherri
Post a Comment