There are a few things about me that are a point of amusement to my children. One of them is that no matter where I go I tend to meet people with ties to Iowa. Another is that I tend to make friends with the people with whom I interact during my "mom errands". Whether the man at the dry cleaning window (who, by the way, is a wonderful gardener and has a daughter in Iowa) to the young man who use to bag my groceries at the grocery store (he loves sports and christian concerts), I love to visit with the people who are a part of the activities of my life.
Amanda and I became aware that it was often the same woman each morning who sat in the entry booth to the parking garage at the Hospital. Because we have so often come in and out for lab work or treatments lately, we began to greet her each time she raised the arm gate for us. Wednesday morning as I was coming in to spend my day with Amanda, I learned that she is the mother of two daughter, loves pink and that she and her daughters like to share their shoes (just as my daughters and I do). Amanda just giggled as I shared that new information with her. She told me that she knew it wouldn't be long before I would become friends with her.
On Friday afternoon as I was heading out of the garage to go and pick Abby, Anna and Caleb up from school, I again saw the same woman in the booth. As I pulled up to the booth, she opened her window and we began to talk. I told her that I wanted her to know that we were hoping our daughter would be released later that evening and that we would not see her until next week. She questioned as to why we came and were again returning and I told her that my daughter had recently been diagnosed with cancer and we were doing our chemo treatments here. She stopped, leaned out her window towards me and, looking me right in the eyes she asked me my daughter's name. I told her it was Amanda. She then told me that her sister was a cancer survivor. She said that was a miracle, that her sister was not suppose to "make it", but that she knew that prayer could change things. She told me to "look" as she turned her name tag around. Her name was Hope. She said, "We all need Hope, and this Hope, prays. You tell Amanda, to hang on, Hope is here and this Hope will be praying for her".
Tears came to my eyes as I thanked her and told her that we too believed in prayer. I told her how much it meant to me that she would pray for our daughter and I told her that my name was Denise and I would look forward to seeing her again. As I said my name, she sat back, a big smile came to her face and she said, "We were suppose to meet. You see, you needed to know someone more will be praying for your daughter, and my sister - the miracle - her name is Denise."
In the midst of the shock and the grief, the fears and tears that have come with Amanda's diagnosis, one of my prayers has been that I would not focus on the fear, but that God would help me to instead focus on Him. I asked that He would help me to see the ways that He is providing for us, the ways that He is caring for Amanda and our family through those around us, and to show me little reminders that He is walking with us on this journey. And although in my weakness there are times my heart breaks again, the tears come and I only have the strength to just face the moment I am in, He has been faithful to my request. The thoughtfulness, the friendship, the support and the prayers that have come on behalf of Amanda and our whole family have shown brightly for me to see and they mean more than I could ever say.
And on Friday, His message of love and comfort came through loud and clear from a gated entry booth that held, Hope.
Saturday, November 18, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Dear all,
Everytime I read Amanda's blog, I am amazed at how well it is written. I am hoping you are printing off everthing you are writing and maybe it will be an inspiration to someone else.
We are so glad that Amanda could come home for the weekend and sure hope that she is feeling good.
Love, Grandma Mary
God sure does work in amazing ways!
This is a great story and its very encouraging
I love you Amanda!!!
Keep up the fight! :)
~ruthie
Ted and I are so thrilled to hear that Amanda's numbers decreased so quickly. We have learned to be grateful for all the good news you receive during trials. Our son, Jacob was born in April 2005 at 24 weeks and lived 6 days. We really felt the Lord leading us to try again and He gave me the name Hope for our daughter even before she was conceived. After my spending 14 weeks on bedrest, 7 of it in the hospital, Hope Anjanette was born 9/27/06 at 8 lbs. 13 oz. She is a testament to God's faithfulness and the miracle of life. Her life is a testimony as is Amanda's. We are continuing to pray for your family and rejoice in God's steadfastness.
Love,
Susan Worstell
Dear Amanda and family:
Your site was sent to me by someone who knows you and I have felt compelled to check it regularly, and to share your story with others so that they too can have the privilege of praying for you.
It's so exciting to see how God is assembling an army to support you, I can tell that you sense this through your writings. Keep alert for every unexpected kindness, every smile and hand that reaches out to you and recognize them as from God... He's surrounding you, in a very real way, through the people He is placing in your life at each exact appointed moment. God loves you so, he's blessing you, keeping you, uplifting you, holding you. With God all things are possible, all needs are met, all prayers heard....
Just sending you HOPE from IOWA !!!
Denise and Larry,
Words cannot express how I feel when I read your site. I have hope, and your exchange with Hope made me both happy and I cried. I cry when I read this site sometimes, and smile.
You have been gracious to me, and I've been in your home, had meals with you, and met your children... all of them lovely.
Larry, you are a dear friend. It pains me to see you go through this, especially with the experiences of your past.
I pray for you, and your family. It is not powerless to pray, that is for sure... but it doesn't take away the feeling of being powerless.
I wish there was something that I could actively *do*. I would take the pain and sickness and disease, in a heartbeat, so that perhaps Amanda could live a better life than I have.
I want to say something that will make this easier, and try to solve the problem, but I cannot.
There is nothing to say. I am speechless.
I am crying, and praying with you.
I have hope, but I sit at the feet of the Almighty... He knows, and I don't.
This entry made me tear up as I was reading it. My pastor once said: "God is a funny guy." How likely was that meeting with Hope? Even greater odds on Hope's sister, the cancer survivor, being named Denise? These are not coincidences, these are cases of God being a "funny guy" and letting you know He is listening. I'd bet someone in your treatment team is named Faith, and she may be someone you never see.
Amanda, I pray for you and your schoolmate, Kevin, every night. I hope he is doing well.
God bless you.
Kevin C.
Post a Comment