Friday, November 17, 2006

Frosted Flakes at 4:00 a.m., and Lakeya bringing a cattle prod.

We had a great evening with Neil and Becky coming to visit, and later many of Amanda's friends and classmates stopping in to share some laughs after they met to pray for her. Later, after the place kind of cleared out, Amanda and I started watching the old movie, The Sound of Music. It's a great classic, but Amanda did to me what Denise typically does .... she fell asleep halfway through it. :-)

And then, at 4:00 a.m., Amanda decides she wants Frosted Flakes. She said it took her about 5 minutes to get me to wake up ..... calling my name and throwing a blanket at me. :-) I felt bad, and told Amanda we need to get her some kind of "thing" to reach over and whop me with. As it turns out, this morning Danny and Lakeya stopped by and when we relayed the story about getting Frosted Flakes at 4:00 a.m., Lakeya said she had the same problem with Danny after some surgery she had one time, and used a cattle prod to wake him in the middle of the night. And so, I am a little concerned about what kind of "weapon" Amanda is going to have next time. :-) It was obvious that Lakeya was more than happy to fix her up, and I'm only hoping that the cattle prod isn't electric. :-) There HAS to be a better way. :-)

The doctors came in at the very start of their rounds today, and said they expect Amanda to be able to go home tonight after the chemo level is tested. That will happen at about 7:00 this evening as usual, and we won't know the results until about 9:00 - 9:30 this evening. But they expect the levels to be at or below .1, and so we are all very happy about that. We asked if they could take the test a little earlier in the day, and if it were day four or later they would, but they want the patient to stay at least 72 hours anyway, so on this third day it will be taken at the normal time.

Then, as it stands now, we will repeat this very same process next week ... going in on Tuesday, and hoping to be home on Friday night .... but once again, the chemo level will have to be at or below .1. And so, on Thanksgiving, we shall give thanks regardless of our location, situation, or circumstances. You know, not just anyone gets a private room in a multi-bazillion dollar complex, complete with attendants, in which to celebrate Thanksgiving with their family. :-)

3 comments:

Mary said...

It is so encouraging that Amanda's body is getting rid of the chemo so quickly. That is the power of Prayer. We certainly hope that it isn't making her really sick.
Our love to you all.
Love, Grandma Mary and Grandpa Bill

Anonymous said...

Oh Amanda! I am SO glad to hear that you will hopefully be going home for the weekend. I hope and pray that you are feeling okay. The whole eating in the middle of the night is nothing new,I know! I hope to see you soon, I love you and your entire family so much!Hope to see you soon,
-Lydia

Anonymous said...

Hey!
I'm a freshman at jeff junior.
I heard about Amanda through my youth director, found out about the site and felt God was leading me to pray for you. So, I am praying for you, as well as your family. As the bible says, "You can do all things through Christ who strengthens you." May God have his healing hand upon you.
~Hayley.
Freshman Cheerleader at jjhs