Saturday, November 11, 2006

"Badge of Honor"

Mary, your comment on my last post "Dad, it's just hair" is wonderful. I know Amanda will read it and smile and be encouraged. What really caught my attention was your saying that losing your hair was " my badge of honor for going through the chemo." What a wonderful way to look at the situation. Usually when we see someone with no hair due to chemo treatments we think something like, "Poor person ... has cancer .... on chemo ... etc." What we could also think, however, is something like, "Strong person ... beating cancer ... tough enough to take chemo ... etc." ... and then perhaps, even congratulate them on their badge of honor ... let them know you are proud of them and impressed with their strength. Thanks Mary.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey amanda! our family(including ruby) just wanted to say hi and we love you! you have such a great spirit and i encourage you to keep it up. btw love all the hats!
~casey and family

Mary said...

Larry,
You know, I never asked "why me"? My feeling was, why not me. I don't think I ever felt sorry for myself, just felt that God in all his mercy, had my life planned from the beginning and this was part of it and make the best of it. I feel so badly for those who don't know our Heavenly Father and have the assurance that he is with them. What a lonely life that can be and a frightening one also. I am glad I could be of some kind of inspiration to Amanda. Your comments and writings in Amanda's blog should be put into a book. It would be a best seller. You and Denise do a wonderful job.
Love, Mary

Anonymous said...

Hey Amanda,
I am proud of you and your strength in this battle. Your courage deserves a badge of honor, even if it's strangely worn on top of your head.(;that is not a winking smiley face, to bad I can't remember how to do those)Anyway, I love you lots, but God loves you even more, so He is definately going to be there with you through every moment of this! I'm praying for you! -Lydia

Anonymous said...

Our hearts and prayers are with each of you as Amanda starts treatment tomorrow. I pray that God will provide comfort for each of you. Lots of Love.

Anonymous said...

Amanda,

Wow you are so brave and it sounds like you have a very high self esteem. I would not like to part with my hair that easily, I don't even like having it short. If you decide you want hair again you can always get a wig. A great place to find them is at locks of love that is where I donated my hair twice (that's why it is short). You are so lucky I know you can make it through this. I wish I knew you better you sound like fun.

We are still praying for you,
Katie

Anonymous said...

Amanda, Your responses to your situation remind me very much of my grandmother as she faught, and survived, cancer many years ago. Grandma always kept a sense of humor about her circumstances. That's just the kind of person she was.

I laughed about your comment to your dad that you hoped your hair grew back curly and blond. Well, grandma had always had straight hair. After her chemo it grew back still grey, but it was curly! And her response was "Think of all the money I'm going to save by not having to get a perm!"

I'm proud of you and the effort you put in to nurturing your family through your illness, just as they nurture you. How kind and soft hearted that was of you to say to your dad "Dad, it's just hair." when you know how he's hurting. Those were just the right words at just the right time.

God bless you and I continue to pray for you.

Kevin

Anonymous said...

11/14/06
I am a late reader and contributor (time of day as well as duration of illness so far). I must confess that I just first looked at the site this weekend. I have to agree with many others- I feel the love toward all of you- and the heartrenchingness of this disease.
I have been in prayer for you during this time, I am not new to that, just new to the blog site.

I was reminded in my spirit about an hour ago that, I believe, tomorrow(today) starts another set of treatments. I am praying. And praying. God be with you Amanda!
Annette Duker

Anonymous said...

Love to you McDaniels,
Bob and I pray for you so often, but the prayer times seem especially fervent when we pray together for you.Yesterday we sat down together twice and just prayed everything we could think of to surround all of you with the strength and supply of heaven during this time. "Then they cry to the Lord in their trouble, and He brings them out of their distresses. He hushes the storm to a calm and to a gentle whisper, so that the waves of the sea are still. Then the men are glad because of the calm, and He brings them to their desired haven." Standing with you, believing with you and loving you.
Mattie Hon

Anonymous said...

P.s. Those scriptures are Psalm 107;28-30.
Blessings,
Mattie