It is Tuesday evening and I wanted to let everyone know how Amanda's day went. I just spoke with her and she is getting ready to go to sleep. It is her first night back at University Hospital. She and I checked her in to the University this morning to begin the next series of her chemo treatments. After lab work, lots of questions and a check up from her Doctor, her resident, the student studying to become a resident, and her nurses....gotta love it...we finally got to her room in the early afternoon.
Her chemo began at 3:15. Different from the last series which was a very long, slow infusion, this bag is given much more quickly and the entire infusion was done in 4 hours. Readings were taken to determine the amount of chemical that had been absorbed into her body. On Wednesday afternoon (24 hours after the last of the chemo) Amanda will begin receiving a recovery drug. This purpose of this drug is to help clear the chemo out of Amanda's system. The chemo that she received is very, very strong. Amanda' s body needs to clear it out as soon as it can. Readings will be taken every 24 hours or so to determine how quickly it is being removed. When the readings show that there is .1 or less of the chemo in her system, Amanda will be cleared.
We do not know how long this will take. We have been told that if all goes well it could clear her system in as little as 4 days. The average is closer to a week. There are occasionally times when it can take as long as 10 days to clear, but that is rare.
Assuming that Amanda is able to clear this drug within the week, she would be allowed to come home and stay until next Tuesday which is when they will give her the same infusion all over again. And, once again, we will wait for a recovery drug and Amanda's body to clear the chemical away. Should it happen that it takes her longer than one week, they will delay the 2nd dose until the following Tuesday. They do not want to do that and so our prayer is that this drug will clear her body quickly and with minimal side effects.
Thankfully I get to tell you that her lab work was good. The Doctor, resident, student and nurses (all of them!) were very pleased with how well she was doing and so far she is comfortable and not experiencing any difficult side effects. We are so very grateful and truly believe that this is a gift from all of the prayers that are being offered on her behalf.
I love her so....she is brave, she is wise, she is funny, she is beautiful...even more beautiful than the two dozen red roses we were gifted with today (thank you Russ). And thank you to each of you who continue to remember her - and all of our family - in your prayers.
Good night Amanda. Sweet dreams honey.
Hallway light on, bathroom light off. Perfect!
I love you more.
Mom
Tuesday, November 14, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Amanda,
Ethan says hi and hopes you are feeling better soon.
We are happy to hear your lab work was good and that you haven't been experiencing too many bad side effects at this point.
We love you.
Denise and Larry
Jeanette Oxford sent me the link to this site. I just wanted you all to know that my husband and I will be praying for your family and miss amanda. I have many fond memories of babysitting the McDaniels kiddos, and now, can't believe they are so grown up looking. All my love and faith for this journey to you.
Blessings
Lacy Huff (formerly Bach!)
Amanda,
I'm glad to hear all the labs look so good! You have a lot of different people checking you out huh? Just remember that the students are trying to learn so more people can be helped though I know it is frustrating.
I hope everything goes well and you continue to be comfortable.
We love you.
Good reports are always a good thing to hear from back home while im so far away! I keep gettings texts from Haley telling me several times throughout the day how Amanda is currently doing, and all yesterday and this morning i have been very happy to hear she is doing well.
Amanda,
I just wanted to let you know that the MCSAA organization is praying for you and your family.
Our prayers are that God can receive the glory through your experience and that He will be made real in your life. Your testimony of faith is amazing and we know that God is with you through these trials. Keep the faith and the smile that keeps everyone going.
We are praying for you.
This is Coach Cockrell at Blue Ridge Christian School. I am praying for you. Pray the Lord showers you with courage and strength, and a ton of Christs' Love.
God Bless You,
Coach Cockrell
Amanda and family~ I am so glad that the lab work came back good. That is always a good thing to hear. I just want you to know that you are in my prayers. My family is praying for you and your are on our prayer list at church. There are tons of people out there praying for you and thats whats going to get you through this. God is going to be there with you until the very end and so is everyone else. I love you Amanda and you have my prayers daily.
Love always~chas~
hey miss amanda!!!
i wanna see you tomorrow so i hope that you feel good :)
i just love you sooo much
luv~ruthie
Denise & Larry~
I send both of you hugs and prayers. Our family has been praying for Amanda as well as the rest of your family daily and we know that God has his arms wrapped around Amanda and will continue to give her the strength to face each day. As parents, you must be so very proud of Amanda and the faith that she has; I am sure that she is an inspiration to so many who know her and even those who don't. Please don't hesitate to call if you need anything, and know that you are lifted up in many prayers daily.
In God's Love,
Nolanda & Family
Amanda~
Keep on 'keepin on' and know that you are a true example of strength and faith! You are in our prayers daily and we know that God will continue to guide you through this.
Hugs and Prayers,
The Dodd Family :)
Amanda,
We're praying and rooting for you. I'm so glad to hear things are going ok. You're such an amazing girl.
Love ya,
Rachel Kohl
Post a Comment