In the midst of long days, scans and the apprehension that we all feel as we face the upcoming lung surgery on Thursday, it would be easy to give in or give up under the emotion and weight of it all.
So many details, so much information, so many doctors...it just goes on and on. But occasionally, here in the midst of hundreds of hallways and a multitude of people, hours in waiting rooms and exam rooms, something happens. Something that stops you and reminds you...He is here.
Today our scans began at 6:45 a.m. and by the time we had reached our last appointment of the day - scheduled for 3:30 - we were more than ready to be done. Larry found a couple of chairs and a table near the windows in a waiting area down the hall and I had taken Amanda to the MRI check in desk for her scan. I had planned to wait until she was called back for her scan then go join Larry. That never happened...
as I stood in line to sign Amanda in and get her paperwork completed, I noticed that a man had come and sat down near her and begun to talk. Amanda was smiling and telling him about her surgery and new leg and I could tell it seemed like a friendly, comfortable conversation for her. When I completed the information sheet, I went over and joined them.
The gentleman was an Army Chaplin, home for his 18 days of "R & R" before returning to his third term of duty in Iraq. His daughter was at MD also having an MRI because of a past tumor and he had been home in time to attend this with her. Surprisingly, Amanda was called in quite quickly (that doesn't happen very often!) and when she left, our conversation continued.
The heart that this Chaplin has for "his troops" was evident in every word that he spoke about them. He shared that just days before his leave, he had lost 3 young men and had 3 more lose a limb because of a bomb or other injuries. It was clear how this hurt his heart. Seeing Amanda with her amputation had drawn him to her.
On and on our conversation continued. His daughter completed her scans and our conversation continued with her and his wife joining in as well. For over two hours we talked, sharing of his time and the soldiers, of his daughter's battle and of Amanda's. Finally, after exchanging our blog site information and his unit email information, we said our good-byes. Quietly I was thanking God for him & his family, continued healing for his daughter,and asking for protection for the men and women who serve our country and who are over seas at this time. That would seem to be a blessing enough, but that is not the reason for sharing this story.
Moments later, I looked up to see the Chaplin standing alone in front of me. He quietly told me how much meeting Amanda had meant to him and the honor in the way she was facing her battle. With that he reached in and pulled out his dog tags. He showed me and explained that he always wore those, two of them were his Army issued ID. A third one was one that he had added and he said that many soldiers wore. It had a unit name on it and the verse from Joshua 1:9, "I will be stong & courageous. I will not be discouraged; for the Lord my God is with me where ever I go." He told me that he had worn it during every tour of duty in Iraq. And then he handed it to me and asked that I give it to Amanda.
Through tears I told him no, that his own family should have such a significant piece of his time in Iraq, but he insisted, saying he wanted her to carry it now. After tears and a hug, he was gone.
Across from me, a man watching and listening to the exchange wiped his eyes and said this to me. "I have seen many great things happen here at MD Anderson. But sometimes the most significant things are not medical. That soldier and that tag is one of the most significant things I have ever witnessed. Truly God was here."
Truly. A dog tag from Iraq & an Army Chaplin, two young girls fighting their own battles, troops who willingly serve in far off lands...truly God is here in a waiting room at MD and with a Chaplin and his troops over seas.
And today, He let me see Him here.
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Well your dad and I are in tears. That a wonderful thing. So many angels around.
Love to you all,
Dad and Mary
We needed a tissue warning!
Thank you so much for sharing that story...
Thank you Denise for writing up that story.....
May you continue to receive strength and peace for EVERY DAY...
We are all praying here........
Luv, Sue Gradwell
Thank you for sharing! Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you.
The Muller family
Amanda's Illinois cousins
It seems like where things are toughest, we are most likely to see angels. Immanuel--God is with us. Thank you for the reminder! Hope you can catch a little sunshine in Houston today. We will be praying for the very best for Amanda tomorrow. God's peace.
Love,
Jodie
What an incredible story. I wish the whole world could read this. Thank you so much for taking the time to give such glory to God and to show His unfailing faithfulness!
Love,
Mrs. Schauwecker
Wow!! Thank you for sharing such a spectacular moment with us all. God bless!
I shared this verse and your story with our church at our Wed. night meeting. We are praying for you and Amanda.
Every newspaper and magazine should get this story, particularly Christian and military publications. Thank you for sharing this with us. We are privileged to receive such a story and to hear of God's grace in the midst of such difficult times. We love the McDaniel family and are praying for you daily.
Scott Williams
Even people that have never been to your blog or heard your story are reading this recent story, Denise...we just got an email from a man in Sturgeon who was emailing it to LOTS of people in his address book. It's an incredible testimony that will touch many, many hearts - thanks for sharing it. We love you guys! Lori K.
Thank you for your story. It left me in tears and now I want everyone I know to read it.
I know Amanda will be fine because God is with her and your entire family.
Post a Comment