Sunday, April 08, 2007

First night in the hospital

Amanda is all snuggled in at the hospital now. Denise is staying with her tonight, and I will be staying with her tomorrow night.

The pre-tests and the actual procedure will take place tomorrow, mid-morning. As I posted earlier, Amanda will be sound asleep through most of it. The doctors want her heavily sedated while the I/A process is taking place so she doesn't move.

This has been long ... and sometimes hard ... out here in Denver. Amanda and I talked some this evening about how much she misses her family and friends back in Columbia. As she pointed out, we left in kind of a hurry ... as soon as we got the confirmation that the Denver team would see her. That was on Tuesday night of last week, and it will be late Wednesday night (at best) before we see the city limits of Columbia again. She REALLY misses her family and friends. When we get back to Columbia, I hope she feels good ... but the doctors have warned us that they are giving massive doses of the chemo to try and stop this tumor ... so ... we don't know exactly what to expect just yet, but it may be difficult.

Amanda and Denise and I feel real good about the care we are receiving, and believe that there is no place else in the world we would be any better off, than here in Denver with this team. They all work together so well, and are very good at communication. They are very honest and straightforward with us, and don't dodge any questions. They make sure Amanda understands all that she wants to about the procedure and what they are trying to accomplish.

Amanda has to be the bravest person I know. She faces each day and every challenge with a great faith and an amazing joy that can only come from the Lord. I am certain that if only I could be more like her, then I would surely be more like Jesus as well. Amanda, you are my hero.

2 comments:

Karen Hurt said...

Amanda and family, So happy to hear you are in Denver. Praise the Lord. Amanda, your strength amazes me. You are truly living as a child of the King. It was so good to see you in Mt. Vernon. Your spirit lifted mine. Larry and Denise, you are such awesome parents. May God give you the strength you need today and everyday. You are prayed for and loved. May God watch over all your children and bring you back together soon. Love, Karen

Anonymous said...

We're with you in spirit! You are an inspiration, Amanda!!

Neal and Becky