Monday, January 26, 2009

The Other Side of the Mountain

There was an old movie I have seen called "The Other Side of the Mountain". And as I remember, it was about a gifted skier who was injured in a terrible ski accident. Paralyzed, the movie showed both the struggle and the triumph as she found herself facing the challenges and successes of a new lifestyle, one she did not anticipate and yet one that become fulfilling and wonderful for her.

As I look back over these past couple of months, we have been blessed with some "mountain top" experiences. Amanda came through an incredibly long and difficult surgery far ahead of expectations, she made the adjustments that were necessary and returned to her life as a High School Jr. Thanksgiving found our entire family together around the table giving thanks. December held the conference in Minnesota and all the new promises and possibilities of her new leg. Then we added a new family milestone with our first college graduate, next came Christmas with our family around the fattest tree ever, and then an unforgettable wedding ceremony with the most beautiful bride and the most incredible group of siblings around her to stand with her and support her. And then it was my twins who were coming down that mountain as skiers. And finally, there were the scans that gave us tears of thankfulness and continued hope.

If only every mountain didn't have a base, a flat land or valley at the bottom we could crash into. The decision to do another chemo and have a February surgery really threw me and even caused me to question Amanda's upcoming surgery and the "good news" of the scans. "How much more" and "how much longer" became the common cries in my prayers on behalf of my child.

And so He sends strength. Not through birds (although some incredible meals have been delivered here!), not with a date or an instantaneous healing (although that would be SO awesome at any time!), but through dear people who come beside and honestly share with me their heart and their words of encouragement. Students who pray and who use their talents to encourage. Friends and even acquaintances who, unaware of the burden of my heart, leave me with a verse or a testimony of God's faithfulness through the time. They share of their own tears and I am reminded of many mother's who have cried out on behalf of their child. They tell me of miracles and I am reminded that they still occur today. They share moments in Amanda's life that they have witnessed and that have made an impact on their heart and in their own spiritual life. And then I read our blog comments and I read of some hearts that desperately need to know(and I remind my own heart as well) that God is still in control and that He loves us all, very, very much. And each of those promises, each of those stories, each of those private moments send strength.

Some of you write of the strength and the hope you receive from reading our blog. I am so very thankful for that. It has been a prayer of my heart from the beginning that throughout this journey - whether we were walking in strength or showing His strength through our own weakness - that our experiences would bring glory to God. But please know this as well, that sometimes the gift of the blog are your comments to us. They help provide the encouragement, the strength, the promise, the hand-up, and the reminder that we do not journey alone.

This is definitely a mountain, a huge and formidable thing that we journey on and our time on it has been long and very wearing; and yet at times the view is truly beautiful as we move along it. I think that perhaps that is exactly what God has called us to do...as we journey together through the difficulties that this life holds, perhaps our greatest calling is to remind each other to occasionally stop and behold the beauty of the view, from this side of the mountain.

Turning towards the view,

denise

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your writing reminds me that it is, at least in this life, about the journey itself. You are all travelling the journey in a remarkable, wonderful, rich way.

I will keep you all in my prayers as you encounter this next, steep part of your path. No doubt, God will keep your every step. Much love--

Anonymous said...

Beautiful metaphor. I am also reminded that the more difficult the climb, the stronger the ties among the team who climbed the mountain together and The One who leads the climb. In one capacity or another we are all part of the McDaniel team. I can only imagine the beauty once we reach the summit!

The climb is difficult and heart wrenching at times but you are all doing extraordinarily well. Think of us as a safety net to catch you if you slip. We are on the same mountain climb with you and we will succeed.

Anonymous said...

I am thankful for the way you and Larry share with us. I know it must be extremely difficult. You are all a witness and example to us as well as the reminder we all need to love, laugh, and live each day. We will continue to keep you in our prayers and know these next few days, weeks, and months will be challenging to say the least. We love you

Anonymous said...

Once again, your words have wound their way around and into my heart.

I will start my day now and carry your words with me, lifting you up in prayer as I go about my work. It is I who will have learned something about courage, trust, grace, goodness and of course, love....

know that prayers continue, graces abound...

Anonymous said...

Amanda, We love you!