Sunday, January 04, 2009

Late Night Calls

For those of you who know me well...or for those of you who happen to check the time at which I often post on this blog page, then you are aware I am known for the late hours at which I am awake.

I can tell you all the reasons (or excuses - your choice) but I won't. Instead I just want to tell you one of the main reason, late night phone calls. It happened again last night, somewhere around 11:30 p.m. the phone rang and the most excited voice said, "I couldn't wait to call you, I knew you would be up!" What a treasure to hear the excitement and laughter in Amanda's voice as she called to share the fun of the day that she and Caleb had in Utah.

Besides another fun day of skiing, Amanda was photographed by the local newspaper who had come to do a story on the group from MD Anderson. She and a young lady from Iowa were the two they photographed and you can tell from that beautiful smile that Amanda is having the most wonderful time. (I will ask Larry how to post a connection to the article so you can see it.) After leaving the slopes and having supper, their evening hours were filled with a dance. Oh, the stories they told!

Amanda and Caleb had the best time. Dr. Anderson actually joined in the Karaoke fun with an Elvis Presley song. Amanda said she danced and danced and then, no kidding, she told me she dropped to the floor and did the worm.

I couldn't believe it. I didn't know that would even be possible. She said it felt great and everyone clapped and cheered for her when she finished.

My daughter is skiing, dancing and doing the worm. Her voice is excited and full of laughter and the conversation is filled with great stories. And I heard it all in a late night phone call. No way I would have ever wanted to miss that.

And tonight's call...it came in at 11:40 p.m. This was their day off from the ski ranch. Amanda and some new friends went into town for shopping and lunch. Caleb joined a group that went cross country skiing. Both had the most wonderful day. Their evening included some time in the pool and they just finished playing board games with their new friends. They are both looking forward to getting back to the slopes tomorrow where Caleb will have the unique experience of learning how to ski "Amanda" style.

What a gift this trip is to my children. What a gift to me as I talk with each of them and hear of the fun and the new experiences they are having. And all of it through late night phone calls.

Life lived so full that it takes until the late hours of each day in order to fit it all in. I wouldn't want to miss any of it. It's well worth being awake for, ready to share with them. Totally.

6 comments:

Win Noren said...

The article can be found at the Desert News web site (although you have to click on the photo gallery to see Amanda's photo).

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705274805,00.html

Anonymous said...

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

wow I am soooo glad Amanda got to go skiing :D!!
I love how she did the worm hehehe :p!

I cannot wait to see her at school again :).

~ Madi

Anonymous said...

We were just talking about her trip last night and wondered about how it was going. Sounds wonderful! ... and somewhere along the line I missed the fact that Caleb would be going with her. How cool!

Now that I see the link I'll checl out the photo and article.

Thanks for the update!
Neal and Becky

Anonymous said...

I love your "late night" stories/antics!

I just got a special "boost" to my day by reading this latest! 8-)

Thanks for sharing your lovely children with us!

Sherri

Anonymous said...

How I love your updates! It makes my day to hear about our precious Amanda. Amanda doing the Worm - I am not surprised! She continues to amaze us! Looking forward to seeing her and Caleb at CFS when they return from this wonderful trip. Bless you! Charlotte Schauwecker