Saturday, January 17, 2009

... other pictures not taken ...

I guess I just wanted to brag on my daughter a little more here ... you know ... we frequently post about how she is full of joy and faith and expresses that by continuing to meet the normal activities of life with great gusto ... but there are also pictures that we don't show on the website, of course .... pictures of battling the sickness and nausea caused by the chemo, for example ... pictures of her quietly sitting by the window with tears in her eyes, looking toward the heavens, and somehow believing a hundred times more than I do there is a God that is with her still ... pictures of her sitting in a doctor's office and somehow facing with thanksgiving that her "good" news is that she gets to have double lung surgery and more chemo.

Like many people I would imagine, I have friends that run the gamut of political thought and religious persuasion. And yes, I have some friends that do not believe there is a God at all. They, and other intellectual atheists are sometimes able to make quite brilliant arguments supporting their position. And as much as I respect their intellectual abilities and powers of reason and logic ... the very things they often point to as proof there is no God, to me are the very things that prove there must be.

I'm not going to take up the time and space here that would be required to completely flesh out my argument ... but I will make this observation that is very real to me. I don't look at the challenges facing Amanda and think to myself there is no God. On the contrary, I look at how Amanda is dealing with all those challenges and think to myself there MUST be a God. Having said that ... why doesn't God just physically heal her now? I don't know. But I also have another question in return ... why does God so obviously dwell within her through all of this? What I am getting at is this ... the way Amanda is dealing with this situation is not "normal." It is not just another part of her "humanity." There is something about it that is, in my humble opinion, supernatural and unquantifiable. There is something about it all that appears to have some attributes of God from within. And I have seen this phenomenon in others through the years. It isn't something that is manufactured or just all "worked up" so as to put on some religious show. It is real, and so much so that one can literally sense it.

Look ... I am not a theologian or a religious scholar ... but I have been around the block enough times to know the difference between what people can do on their own, and what people can do with the character, nature, and likeness of God working through them.

Just sayin'
dad

8 comments:

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Excellent post!!

No, it's not "normal" how she is dealing with her cancer. She is being led by the Holy Spirit and, she is glorifying God mightily through this experience.

Have you read the article, Don't Waste Your Cancer, by John Piper? It's an excellent article....

Anonymous said...

You have no idea how Amanda, you and other members of your family are ministering to people like me through this blog. I've not attended church in many years and have had very serious doubts about God's existence; however, I have been questioning my doubts because I see a rare spiritual beauty in your child (and your family). I've been moved to tears many times while reading the blog entries and rather than believing there is not a God, I am wondering, surely there is a God. I want to believe He exists. I want to believe that He is wrapping His loving arms around you, Amanda, and family. I want to believe because I believe in Amanda and I very much want her to get well. I've never met Amanda but I see the beauty in her and in your family. Thank you for your post.

Anonymous said...

Prayers for Amanda & your family. Your family's story is doing more at reaching lost people than you will ever know. Jesus, keep shining through Amanda & her family!

Anonymous said...

Amanda,

We love you.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Larry for your profound and insightful statements. I pray that God's grace, which He promises will always be sufficient for us, will continue to abound for Amanda and for all who love her so dearly, particularly her father.

Scott Williams

Anonymous said...

God is going to do big things in your life, Amanda. I can just feel it. God is looking down smiling at your humble heart.

He's going to do something amazing...

Anonymous said...

Just read your latest post and saw the picture of Amanda sitting by the window. There is no way of knowing just how many people she is touching, and that the whole family is touching through sharing your honest day to day struggle with Amanda's cancer.

I have never heard a sermon which explained God, or trust in Him, better than the actual example that you are allowing us to witness through this blog. Thank you for the kindness of openly accounting for all you go through and all Amanda deals with, and for letting us see her heart, her strength, her courage and most importantly....Her God....

May He grace Amanda and her family abundantly and hold you close always...

Just someone from Iowa who cares...

Anonymous said...

Amanda-
Just wanted to let you know that you are covered in prayer. The only encouragement I can offer is that you are so amazingly encouraging to me! Thank you!