Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Me & my mom's day out

Hey everybody this is Amanda.

I just wanted to tell you about the great day that me and my mom had together. So the last week and a half have been all meetings and appointments and we happened to have one free day in between getting out of the hospital and our final, closing appointment in the morning. So me and my mom hopped in our minivan and headed to Galveston for the day. We had a few places in mind where we wanted to go and of course there were a couple detours. :)

So our adventure began as we were driving down the main road in Galveston. We happened to pass a really old, big cemetery. Now in case you don't know, me and my family have always had an interest in cemeteries. We love to explore them and discover all we can from the stones in them. So of course me and my mom stopped to explore this cemetery. Included in our finds were an old mausoleum that we were able to peek into, discovering an old rum bottle and another object probably from the old rum runner days. We also found a family plot where we were able to determine that this one man had not one wife but three that were all buried there, and here's the interesting part, he wasn't buried there. That was kinda funny...maybe he didn't want to be by all those wives.Hehe.

Next we ventured on to the Moody Mansion where we were stunned by all the beauty and design of the house. Not only was the history of the house very interesting but the inside tour of the house was Really Cool. Then we ventured onto the streets where we rented a " bicycle built for two" and rode along the beach for an hour. It was really fun. Sometimes me and mom would get to talking and one of us would forget to peddle or steer, which made it interesting of course. :)

Then we headed out to get some ice cream from a shop we had seen while bicycling then walked down to the beach. We walked along the beach and talked and ate our ice cream (which melted really quickly and mostly ended up all over me :>)

Walking in the surf was a great ending to our incredibly exciting day.

My dad has put some pictures online. You can see them by clicking here.

12 comments:

Denise McDaniel said...

There are moments in a mother's heart that stay forever...in my heart, this day with you is one of those moments. The cemetary piggie-back rides, the tour, the bike ride and the precious moments as we walked hand in hand in the water and then, as I watched you jump in the surf...those moments I will treasure as long as I live. It was a great day Amanda, thank you for sharing it with me.

Anonymous said...

Amanda, thank you, thank you for sharing your special day out with your mom with us. The pictures were incredible. My favorites were you jumping in the surf and you and your mom on the bike. Everyone here at CFS is so so excited to see you. Every day we pray for you and thank God that He has given us the gift of you!

Love you-

Mrs. Schauwecker

Matt Boyd said...

Sounds like an awesome day!

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda,

Those pictures touched my heart and as a Mom myself, I was thinking how much the day with you had to have meant to your Mom too.

Your smile is a blessing that I will carry with me through my busy day. May you find blessings to treasure today as well....

Prayers continue for you Amanda JOY from someone who cares in Iowa....

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Your smile can light up the world!

I was wondering if I could use a picture or two of your special day on my blog?? I participate in a meme called, "Word-Filled Wednesday," where we take a picture and and use a scripture verse that goes with the picture. There are several pictures that made me think of a verse. :o)

Give your mom a hug for me!!

Anonymous said...

awwwwwwwwwww these pictures are sooooooooo cute... i deffinitelly LOVE the one of you jumping and in posing on that rock. suuuuuuuuper cute!!!

love you!!!!!!!!
~Casey

The Williams Family said...

Amanda,

You don't know me but my Aunt Linda Reeves has kept me updated on you and sent me to your blog. My family and I live here in Houston, actually Cypress. I'm so glad that you got to go to Galveston! I hope the waves were great with the storm out in the gulf. Hope to meet you and your family, please don't hesitate to contact us if you need anything while you're in the area.
Carrie Williams

LA Kohl said...

I've always loved the way you girls have fun no matter how big or little the excuse may be...even a dripping ice cream cone can be a reason for "funny"ness. Thanks for sharing about your day - it sounds (and looks) awesome!
Lori

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda
Glad to hear you had a great day!
God Bless You
-Kimi

Anonymous said...

Hey Madna :D!! lol

Wow that old mansion and the cemetry sounded like tons of fun!! Of course walking on the beach would be awsome! I love all of your pictures they are sooo cute :)...Especially the one with you and your mom :D! I am so glad that you are back now for a few weeks!!!

~ Madi

Jodie Dickey said...

You have timing, Amanda! Loved the pictures. So glad you will be safe in Missouri while Houston faces hurricane Ike. It's wet enough there without any extra help! Have a safe trip.

Anonymous said...

We are so glad to see you and your family back in Columbia. Your positive outlook on the future is an inspiration! I loved your kitchen dancing story! Well, it got me looking and guess what I found? Here's a video of an amazing one-legged guy dancing the salsa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCNahg3OjUs

May your future hold lots of fun kitchen dances (salsa optional).

Shelley Arri