Regarding the situation as it stands now ..
- The small metastasis's in the lungs have NOT grown.
- The newer area of disease at the base of the spine, which was treated with radiation a few weeks ago, currently shows NO activity of cancer cells at this time.
- The original area (left pelvic area - higher hip) still has some activity, but has not advanced as far as we can tell.
- There will be three more rounds of Chemo treatment, one of which Amanda has already had today. The next two rounds will be given in Columbia. It is basically a three-hour long infusion that takes place at the hospital. After each treatment, there is a three-week wait between treatments. Currently the next treatment is scheduled for August 13, and the final treatment for September 10.
- Amanda will have to return to M.D. Anderson for another complete set of scans on October 6 and October 7, with consultations with the doctors and surgeons on October 8.
- If the cancer continues to be held at bay with the ongoing treatments, (and we expect that to be the case), there will be a major surgery on her left upper hip area. This surgery will be intrusive and could require some changes in the way Amanda is physically able to move about and the weight that can be put on that particular hip. Regardless, Amanda has already told two nurses here today that she intends to be recovered in time participate with her cheerleading squad at school, and walk down the isle as one of the bridesmaids in her sister's wedding in December. In fact, she went so far as to say, with that precious smile on her face, that having the surgery in October is "perfect timing."
- The surgery would also require that she be hospitalized here at M.D. Anderson for a period of about three weeks before returning home. The reason it is important for this surgery to take place is because Dr. Anderson tells us that a durable remission is not possible without the removal of the cancer activity in this area.
- Should the hip surgery go as planned, later there will likely be two different lung surgeries ... one on each lung, to try to get the spots that are attempting to get some traction there.
It falls in her treatment in a perfect place.
We are currently packing up here at our room, and heading back to Columbia tonight. I will drive through the night (for the most part) and we expect to be back home tomorrow morning sometime. See you there.
dad
p.s. To my wife and six children ... I love you more than you could ever imagine ... more than all this world and everything in it. :-)
5 comments:
nateek65Oooo, Ooooo, Oooo -- I get to be the first to say "hallelujah!" :-) I know it's not the most perfect and absolute best news it could have been...but it's so much better than it could have been, also. We're thrilled that you're headed home, and that the trip is still a "go"! God's continued blessings on you all each and every day...Lori
I don't know your family but I got the link through Andy Upham's blog. I absolutely have been praying since late May for your family and know that God is good all the time and all the time God is good! He is doing miraculous things for Amanda's recovery, I just know it. I am so excited with each new step not showing new growth and the possibility of holding this cancer off for good. My daughter too is a cheerleader so I know how important that can be to a young girl. You go on that trip and make memories with your family that will last a lifetime- we will be here praying and waiting.
Hi, just checked in to see if there were any updates on Amanda and am happy to find that you will be home soon. (Her sweet, calm, and determined way of dealing with all that is ahead of her makes me just want to add that I too want to be like Amanda when I grow up!)
Rest in the knowledge that God's hand is moving in her situation, which is apparent by all those who have been assembled to do battle on her behalf ... Complete strangers, such as myself, continue to check in on her, pray for her, and carry her around with us in our hearts.
Just someone who cares very much in Iowa about what you are all going through.... May God bless you and hold you close....
Prayers and cheers from Colorado. So happy you are headed home with encouraging news. Amanda, love is certainly God's greatest gift, and it is apparent that you are much loved. Have a great summer. We are cheering for you!
I don't think there is anyone who wouldn't want to be like Amanda when we grow up!
Post a Comment