Saturday, August 02, 2008

Her "Dream" is about to come true!

Many of you know that Amanda got to "make a wish" and that our local Dream Factory (the mid-Missouri equivalent of a Make A Wish organization) committed to making it come true.

Her dream? There was no doubt what it would be....to see a play on Broadway. In our family we love Broadway musicals. The girls can be heard singing the soundtracks to various plays all the time.

Because of a break now in treatment and schooling schedules, we are finally free to make the trip and tomorrow (Sunday) we are on our way. YEAH!

Ginger, our trip coordinator, has been wonderful. I believe that she has thought of absolutely everything to make this trip as easy and as unforgettable as possible. Amanda chose the Phantom of the Opera as her first choice for a play to see and Ginger (and others from the Dream Factory) made that come true. Tuesday night, our entire family will be sitting together in the audience as this dream comes true for Amanda.

I can't really describe what this trip means to us. It's bittersweet...the side that remembers why we are taking this trip, the other side that celebrates the incredible opportunity that we have been given to make even more lifetime memories together as a family. The thankfulness we feel is almost overwhelming, there is no way we could ever even consider such a trip at this time in our family. To be given this gift, for this dream to come true for Amanda, that is truly a dream come true for all of us.

The clock tells me it is now after twelve midnight and so later today, we head out to begin making this dream come true.

To each of you who have ever supported a program like the Dream Factory or a Make A Wish Foundation, thank you. These trips mean the world to families like us.

Can you hear it? My daughters are in the other room singing and laughing. I believe it may be lines from The Phantom. The sound of their voices together and happy means that my dreams have already come true.

New York City - Here we come!


Denise

And to a very special family who generously and thoughtfully sent a gift to each of our family members so that we could chose something extra while we are there...thank you. You know that we love you and your thoughtfulness means so very much to each of us.

3 comments:

Jodie Dickey said...

Denise, my prayer for all of you is that while on your trip you can forget the "bitter" and soak up the "sweet". Blessings to you all. Jodie

Anonymous said...

Denise, Larry , Amanda and all of the McDaniel Children,
I hope you all have the most wonderful and memorable time in NYC. I was at MDA 2 days ago and I was thinking about Amanda so much, so I checked the pt registered in the hospital. They said no Amanda McDaniel was registered and I felt grateful and worried at the same time. Little did I know Broadway was calling 1000 miles away.(smile) I am praying that Amanda is one of those "miracle patients" that will beat this cancer. My eyes tear up reading your stories and I feel the love that you all have for each other and for our Heavenly Father. God Bless you all!
Much Love, Patty

Anonymous said...

Just checked in from Iowa to see how Amanda was doing. So excited for Amanda and family for the dream trip to see a show on Broadway! I too love Broadway musicals and the music from that particular show is beautiful. Did they have the big surprise drop of the chandelier over the audience??

Anyway, just wanted to remind you of prayers coming your way...God bless...