Thursday, August 14, 2008

Treatment Time & Locks of Love

Once again it was time for Amanda to receive the next dose of the chemo that she is receiving while here in Columbia. Wednesday found myself, Anna and Amanda spending our day back in the familiar halls and rooms of the 6th floor and the CBCU (Children's Blood and Cancer Unit). Thankfully Amanda's lab counts came back "rock solid" and she tolerated the hours of infusion well. This particular drug tends to cause breakouts of hives and other itchy rash type symptoms and so to combat that Amanda had to sit with her feet and her hands on ice during the long hours of infusion. We had received this same drug combination before and so were prepared for the ice and Anna and I did our best to keep Amanda entertained while the time passed.

Today we returned to the CBCU and Amanda received a timed injection that she needs in order to help protect her organs and blood counts from this harsh chemo. We have lab work scheduled to monitor her during these next couple of weeks to make certain that her body is handling this treatment well. There will be a final infusion of this drug in mid-September before we return to Houston in October.

And so, with another infusion now behind us...two cousins and a sister had a special surprise for Amanda.

Abigail, along with cousins Bethany and Lydia all gathered together today and donated their long hair to Locks of Love. Long ponytails were cut off and were sent to the Locks of Love organization in Amanda's honor. The girls all got cuts that are approximately the same length as Amanda's hair (she is still the only one with those beautiful curls though!). Amanda was so touched and we are so proud of all of them and the very special relationship that these four girls have.

(And we really love how the new cuts look!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Denise,

Even tho I haven't written for awhile, I am following closely all you are doing, and also I'm talking to your mom. AND PRAYING !

Much love from my heart,
Sue Gradwell

Anonymous said...

put up a picture please!
~haley

Anonymous said...

Sis,
I am praying for you and your family. I don't get much time to call and talk but, this is a good way to send love from me and your nieces and nephews. I will keep Amanda in my prayers as well as the entire family. You should be proud to have such a perservering family. I love you and kiss my niece for me.
Love from Buffalo, NY
Your Sis,
Davina, Mykhel, Spencir, Maddy, Jey, Alex, and Lil Menzo. (my email is daina gibson31@yahoo.com or beautifullady31@ol.com)