Friday, March 23, 2007

The situation as we understand it now.

The doctors have consulted and the results are as follows.
  • The tumor has not grown.

  • The tumor has not shrank, either.

  • The lungs are clear and a spot that was of some concern at the base of the spine is now gone.

  • Because of the way that Amanda's tumor lies, our surgeon does not believe that he would have enough room to leave clear margins around the tumor if he were to try and remove it at this time. Under the best of circumstances, it would be a substantial surgery.

  • There is a procedure that is only done in a few places in the U.S., known as "intra-arterial infusion." It is not experimental, but also not common. It involves threading a tiny catheter into the artery feeding the tumor, and directly injecting a type of chemo. The doctor has told us that it would be "technically tricky," but they are hoping Amanda can be a candidate for this type of procedure.

  • Our doctors are in consultation with Dr. Wilkins, known as "one of the world's best-respected orthopedic surgeons at The Denver Clinic for Extremities at Risk at Presbyterian/St. Luke's Medical Center. .... The team at The Denver Clinic at P/SL established advanced diagnostic criteria and pre-operative, intra-arterial chemotherapy protocols that have dramatically increased success rates for these children. Wilkins, a world leader in reversing the odds for patients with osteosarcoma, is pioneering cancer treatment here at P/SL." http://www.pslmc.com/

  • If Amanda is accepted as a candidate for "intra-arterial infusion," we will travel to Denver for that procedure.

  • It will probably be at least one week, and possibly two weeks before we know the decision. (Yes, I know that is a long time; and no, there's nothing I can do about it or I already would have.)

  • If Amanda is approved for the procedure, the intent would be to shrink the tumor enough to make surgery a viable option. That has been the goal all along, but not yet achieved at this point.

  • If we are told by the team of doctors that Amanda does not qualify for this procedure, we will begin the process of 2nd opinions, in concert with our current team of physicians, while working with our current physician team to continue to try and keep the tumor contained.
So .... Amanda has at least a week off from any treatments at this point ... perhaps more. We are simply waiting for the decision regarding the treatment in Denver.

I don't know what else to say .... except to thank God for yet "another day of grace," as one of our pastors (Mike) put it. I believe his advice is good, so ... let us be thankful now.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the news. I'm so glad the tumor isn't growing and that the spot on the lung is gone. One day at a time. We are with you.
Momma Koske

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda,
Sorry the tumor didn't shrink. At least it didn't grow. Hopefully you'll be approved for the Denver procedure so things can be normal again.
See you after (or maybe during, I don't know... my parents are sending us to our spoiling grandmas most of the time)spring break,
Stephanie

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that the tumor hasn't shrunk. All of you are such a testament to the strength of Christ in you. Hang in there. We will continue to pray.
The Westfalls

Anonymous said...

Amanda & family,
I am so sorry that the tumor didnt shrink, but it is a blessing from God that the tumor didnt grow as well. I pray that you are able to go to Denver for the procedure. Hang in there...God is going to truly bless you and good things are going to come out of this. I know that you may not see it right now, but God is going to work in your life overtime. I will pray for you everyday and keep me up to date on the news!Have a great weekend with your family and friends!

Love & prayers,
Chas

Anonymous said...

God bless all of you. I think that is the most productive bake sale I have ever heard of. Pretty fantastic!
I have been out of commission for a while so am just catching up on the blog news. I have been praying for you though. I will be praying for the next step along with so many others.
You all are amazing, lead on!
Annette D.

Anonymous said...

From what I can see Amanda is a great candidate for the procedure in Denver. I certainly hope so. I like the blog since I don't have to pester Larry for updates all the time. I check it often but this is only the second time I have posted anything. I don't know what to say other than the obvious except that this posting sounded hopeful. Amanda you have a lot of supporters who think of you a good deal.

Mike

Anonymous said...

Amanda, I am so sorry the tumor did not shrink I will be praying that you are a candidate for the procedure in Denver. I hope you and your family will have some special times together over spring break.

Mrs. Schauwecker

Anonymous said...

Praise God the tumor hasn't grown, the lungs are clear, and the spot is gone! You are all such an example to us and such a blessing to us. God is doing amazing things in and through you. We will keep praying!
Tammy

Anonymous said...

McDaniels and Amanda - words are few in my heart for you but yet I am finding myself unable to not think and prayer you would know, no, see Jesus so sweetly standing with you. Another day of Grace - HE was here when you got here and tomorrow He will already be there when you get there - never alone are you.
your friend -michael a

Anonymous said...

Hey Amanda,
I'll be praying for you! It is a good thing that the tumor did not grow. To bad it did not shrink, but God has a plan for this!! I hope you will have a relaxing spring break!

Clock, aka Maddie ;]

Anonymous said...

hey amanda!
ive been gone for a few days and havent been able to check this. but i want u to know that im praying for you and praying that ull get this treatment! i love u so much amanda.
alexis
p.s. i had a funny dream about us last night. ill tell u about it soon

Anonymous said...

Hey precious,
It was fantastic spending time with you guys earlier this week, sorry I had to leave early for work. The kids loved spending the time w/ you and your sisters, and we are thankful for every memory. Know that I/we love you all very much, and our prayers are unending. I love the fact that you have not lost your smile. Love to all from all of us, and just to let you know, Jenny just got a new male cat... named Humdinger! he'll be on our website soon. Love ya hon, sweet dreams, good night. Uncle Doo.