Monday, October 06, 2008

The day before tomorrow.

About tomorrow ...
We start the check-in process at the hospital at 5:15 a.m. tomorrow morning.

Surgery is scheduled to take place at 7:30 a.m.

It will be a long surgery, and we have been told they will not wake Amanda until Wednesday.

We will take a laptop to the hospital and put something here on the blog when we know the surgery is successful and complete.

The surgeon told us today that she is encouraged by the latest scans and remains optimistic about the success of the surgery in getting all the cancer in that pelvic location.


About Wednesday ...

Wednesday we will wake up with a new reality.

There are many things about this new reality that are not known, and cannot be known. The most obvious one would be "why," but that is only the beginning. Much of God remains a mystery to us, and we are not the first of humanity to lay awake at nights, sometimes for years, wondering why things happen as they do. Even so, speaking for myself, laying awake at nights often produces more new questions than it does answers to old ones. You know ... do you ever just want to go back into time a decade or two or three and say to all the people you knew then, "Hey Ya'll ... remember all that stuff I knew back then ... Well, I didn't really know it then, and I still don't know most of it now!" :-) It reminds me of one of my very favorite Mark Twain quotes: "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

So .... what DO we know?
Here's an interesting puzzle. There is an African proverb that states, "No one knows the story of tomorrow's dawn." Few of us would bother arguing otherwise. And yet all of those who know God, know the story of eternity - a dawn that will never end. :-) I've always found it interesting that in some ways, I know more about what I'll be doing a thousand years from now than what I'll be doing this weekend.

Anyway ... here are some thoughts I would like to share.
  1. As the saying goes, "It is what it is." We can't change it.
  2. We can meet it with fear and trembling and anger and ... (I've tried those and more, and nothing changed.)
  3. We can partner with Amanda ...
    • the Amanda that tells her friends, "Hey guys, there are a lot of things I want to do, and I can do them with one leg, but I can't do them with cancer."
    • the Amanda that has faced each and every day as a good one, every day of her life.
    • the Amanda who is so full of joy, she is called Amanda Joy.
    • the Amanda who doesn't complain about her situation, but looks forward to the opportunities of another day.
    • the Amanda that clearly strives each and every day to honor God in all she does.
    • the Amanda that truly does show us what the "fruit of the Spirit" looks like in the flesh.
    • the Amanda that teaches me about humility.
    • the Amanda that is basically carrying the rest of us through this.
Look ... I know a lot of you are like me in that you have often looked at Amanda and thought to yourself, "How does she do this with such grace?" Honestly, I'm not sure. I watch her sleeping and think to myself, "How do you do this?"

And so when I say we should "partner with Amanda," I am of course aware of the fact that hundreds if not thousands of you already have partnered with us and Amanda in very helpful ways. But it is my goal to try partnering with her in spirit as well ... in the sense that I will endeavor to live in the moment, be thankful for relationships, seek to honor God, and when asked about cancer, reply like Amanda usually does ... "I don't really think about it." Again, I'm not sure how she is so consistently and sincerely able to do all that, but it seems to be a good plan.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amanda, you are in our thoughts and prayers, both you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Amanda,
You are an amazing person!
We will keep praying for you.
Remember, the Lord will never leave you or forsake you.
God Bless You!

MSM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Amanda (and fam)... you're in our prayers! We're thankful for you and your great, trusting faith. It's encouraging and challenging.

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Praying for you, sweetheart!!!



The Mary post was me...I was accidentally logged on my friend's account. Sorry about that. :o)

Anonymous said...

Amanda we love you!

Anonymous said...

It's 3:47 Tuesday morning. I couldn't sleep so I got on the computer and here I am reading about you. What an incredible young woman you are Amanda! You and your wonderful family will most certainly be in my thoughts today as I pray.

Anonymous said...

Dear Amanda, Larry, Denise and family,
Our thoughts and prayers are with you, especially today and in the days and weeks to come. Be strong and courageous. God is with you and has been with you and will continue to be with you every step of the way. You continue to be an inspiration to so many people. I have no doubt that God has something amazing in store for you. We love you dearly!
The Lutz's

LA Kohl said...

You know it - but I need to say it...we want you to know that you all are in our thoughts and prayers every single moment of today. Larry - your post was amazing; what an inspiration all of you are to the rest of us. I only wish we could be there with you guys thru this very long day - but again, please know that we are definitely there in spirit.
Love,
the kohl's

Anonymous said...

It goes w/o saying.........and yet I must-----I am praying without ceasing with you this day. With the arms of my spirit I am holding you up to the Father and asking Him to do the work that only He can do. I love you........................ Jeanette

Anonymous said...

God has had me up numerous times last night and the night before. What a privilege to use that time to pray for you all. May His grace completely surround you and fill you with His glorious presence that surpasses all our questions.

~ Denise's new best friend

Anonymous said...

We at CFS are praying for Amanda and the McDaniel family today, particularly. We love you, our thoughts and prayers are with you, and we will keep Amanda's name continually before the Lord.

Scott Williams

Anonymous said...

All of JBU is praying for you guys!

Anonymous said...

Praying for you!!!!

The Williams Family said...

Howdy, from here in Houston....I'm keeping the blog up all day to pass along news of Amanda to our church family....
PLEASE DON'T HESITATE TO CALL FOR ANYTHING!!!!!
Carrie Williams
979-575-1115

Sue from Omaha said...

God Bless you all today, and guide the surgeon's hands. Love and Hugs and Prayers from Omaha - Sue Keyser