Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Spirit Full of Light

I’m sitting here in a Chick-fil-A on the south side of Houston because I needed to access some free WiFi, and believe it or not, they have it. I’m the only one in here with a laptop, and it’s not the typical coffee shop kind of setting at all, so I’m not sure why Chick-fil-A has WiFi, but I’m glad they do. Denise and Amanda are resting for a bit, before our next appointment, which is the “simulation” in preparation for radiation on the spot in the area of the lower spine.

As I’m looking at all the people around me just making it through their day, and mostly thinking about Amanda and how very special she is, in so many ways, it suddenly occurred to me why she “shines” so much. Those who know Amanda well, know that she just “shines.” In fact, when we met the gentleman with the keys to the Ministry Apartment this morning, the first thing he told me was that when we called, he immediately remembered Amanda’s smile. She “shines.”

What occurred to me is that Amanda shines because her spirit is full of light. Some of us, like me, smile when we’re supposed to, or when it’s socially proper, or when we hear something funny, or when we are greeting someone, or want to make a good impression, or any number of other reasons. But Amanda’s smiles come from somewhere else. Her smiles go much deeper than that. They come from a source more sincere, a place deeper within, and framed with a grace and kindness and humility that I believe is connected to God. Amanda’s smiles are a natural out-flowing and expression of a spirit that is full of light. In fact, she can’t even fake it. I can fake it, and you probably can too. In fact, most of us do on at least a semi-regular basis. But Amanda’s smile is as natural as the morning sun, and would be about as difficult to hide.

The man’s story this morning, of remembering Amanda’s smile from a year ago, is actually a common one for her. We hear that kind of thing often about Amanda. Think about it … the man probably only saw Amanda a few times, maybe two or three, if that … and it was a year ago … and he sees hundreds of people go through those ministry apartments, and in all the other areas of his life as well. And yet, with just a phone call as a reminder, the first thing that crossed his mind was the smile of Amanda. For the record, Denise and I smiled at him too. :-) As I’m sure everyone else does as well.

But the one he remembered, was the one of the face of a girl whose spirit is full of light.

There is a difference.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

PERFECT description for Amanda ... she shines! That guy nailed it right on the head!

It was SO good to hear your voice last night, Amanda. I felt your 'shine' thru the phone and was encouraged by it! You're a
constant inspiration to so many of us.

Love,
Neal and Becky

Daisy said...

Hey guys,

I don't know you and got to know about Amanda through the Upham's website. I am however praying for you and I know that God will perfect the healing process He has already begun. Hold on to your faith and to His promises. He is faithful and He'll never give you more than you can bear.

Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Larry,

For all of us who check this site several times a day--thank you. It is nice to see the apartment and visualize where you all are. I know there are so many praying for all the McDaniel's. We love you all!

Bev

Anonymous said...

Larry, Denise, Amanda and all

We are saddened to learn of the reoccurance. Seems cancer is rampant these days. I too was glad to see what the apartment looks like. What a great ministry those churches provide. We shall continue to uphold you all in our prayers as well as the ministry at Coyote Hill.

Elaine and Lloyd

Anonymous said...

Your message touched my heart. I try to stay up on what's going on w/ Amanda and pray for her.
A Coyote Hill friend,
Mary Gilbert