Thursday, August 30, 2007

Wednesday's Labs, Special Radio Days & the Journey on

Our call has come and I am happy to report that Amanda's lab results were excellent.

It was wonderful for Amanda and I to head back down to CBCU (at the Univ. Hospital) and to once again see the Dr.'s and nurses who have become so dear to us on this journey. Amanda was like a "visiting star", everyone was so happy to see her and to hear how her time in Houston had gone. It was so reassuring to see how pleased they were, to hear their comments about how wonderful Amanda looked and to have them offer their words of assurance and confidence regarding her future. It was a gift of calm to my heart.

Amanda's counts are doing so well that we will now wait two weeks to have the next reading.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a different note...Amanda and I were interviewed for the upcoming Children's Miracle Network Radiothon that will be be help from September 26th - 28th. Four stations will host the event -
Y107: 106.9
Kat Country: 94.3
The Eagle: 93.9
KCMQ, the Rocker: 96.7


Amanda did such a great job understanding and utilizing the sound equipment, that they used her to record all of the station identification commercials that will be used throughout the days. The phone bank will actually be located in the lobby of University Hospital. Amanda will visit the telethon "live and in person" on Thursday (Sept. 27th) after she gets out of school that afternoon. If you listen to one of these stations, or even if you would just like to tune in one day, that would be great. I know that there are many, many important and worthy causes in our world today. Right now, this one feels very personal to us. Cancer is fought through research. Without financial support, that is hampered. That research is what is helping to save my daughter's life. I have signed up to work on the phone lines in the mornings and am glad to be able to do so. So, if you happen to have your radio on, listen in. And if you feel so led, call in. As a parent, I promise you, it will be greatly appreciated.

And finally, although there will now be stretches of time that pass between appointments, please do continue to check Amanda's site. I will continue to add any updates that pertain to this journey we travel. Weeks between appointments change how we schedule our daily activities, but it does not change that our daughter has cancer. It doesn't change that we never forget that we are in a battle for Amanda's future. Some of this battle is fought with scans and medicines, some of it is fought in our hearts and minds with fervent prayers, and some of it is overcome with laughter and living each day to the fullest. But regardless of how we fight, in the fight we remain.

Your words, comments, and prayers have helped to sustain us over this past year. We will continue to rely on them as this journey continues through labs and future scan dates. We hold fast to the knowledge that your prayers join with ours as we daily ask for God's healing and protection on Amanda and her life. And I ask that you remember my other five children, that God will continue to keep them close to Him and will refresh and strengthen their spirits for this journey as well.

The path looks a little different right now, but the journey continues.

Thankful that you are walking it with us,

denise

7 comments:

Mary said...

Grandpa and I just read your newest blog and are so pleased that your blood work is so good. We knew that it would be. We wish we could get the radio station here in Cedar Rapids. We would have loved to hear your voice.
Keep up the good work. Hope you have a great school year, Amanda. Our love to all you guys.
Love, Grandpa and Grandma Dykhuizen

Anonymous said...

All of the news from your last two posts has been so wonderful to hear and we are so happy that your family is back together again with your "Houston Summer" behind you. Please know that Amanda and all of you continue to be in our prayers. Thank you so much for the great updates!
Wayne and Faye

Anonymous said...

I am so excited to hear such great news as I am reading these last few blogs!

Love & prayers,
Chas

Anonymous said...

To anyone who would like to listen from far away, all of the stations are online at:

http://www.kcmq.com/
http://www.kat943.com/
http://www.ksszfm.com/
http://www.y107.com/

A friend on your journey.

Nancy Shank said...

Wow! Great, great news! We are so pleased and grateful to hear about your successes!
The Shanks

Anonymous said...

Hi Denise,
I just happened to check the blog to see if you had anything since returning home, and I'm glad I did!
Your writing is so fantastic, maybe someday you'll write a book !

Praising with you !
Love, Sue Gradwell

Anonymous said...

All of this is wonderful news. I had the distinct pleasure of meeting Amanda at an event at Coyote Hill. She's truly the epitome of grace and poise. We got a chuckle out of the the fact that I walked up to where she was sitting and saying "Hello, you haven't met me before....." just as she took a bite out of a cookie covered with...guess what...M&M's. Does that sound familiar? Anyway, having had incredibly bad timing in opening my mouth, we both grinned, and I asked Amanda to go ahead and eat and I'd do the talking for a while. Amanda has a smile that will knock you off your feet and a sweet, gracious personality. Let us all continue to pray for God's mercy and grace. God Bless you all. Kevin