Monday, September 17, 2007

Labs, Scans & A radio appearance change

Life seems to be moving quite quickly here in the McDaniel home. With school, fall sports and after school club meetings all in full swing, it seems as if once again I find it hard to take time to sit down at my computer. I wanted to add a note today to let you know how Amanda is doing and what our next appointments are.

Amanda is thrilled to be back in school with her class. She feels great and has jumped right back into all of the activity that surrounds a busy, 10th grade girl. Thanks to all of the wonderful teachers and staff at CFS, she came back from last year ready to step into 10th grade. We are so proud of her and all of the hard work that she did to be so closely caught up with her peers.

On Wednesday of this past week Amanda had labs drawn and I am pleased to share that we received the call back that all of her counts are doing well. We did have one change. Dr. Anderson, her oncologist from Houston, wants a chest scan done so that they will have a comparison screen when we have our first follow up scans done in November. So on Wednesday of this week Amanda and I will head down to Univ. Hospital for a chest CT. Watching Amanda's lungs is vital during this time. When Osteo spreads, in the lungs is the first place that it reappears. Thankfully, each of Amanda's lung scans have been clear since we began our chemo infusions. We are praying that this one will be as well.

As I posted previously, next week is the radio-thon for children's cancer. Amanda was scheduled to be interviewed on Thursday (the 27th); however, this has been moved up to Wednesday the 26th around 5:00 p.m. I just wanted to make you all aware of this change in case any of you wanted to be able to listen to her interview.

Each morning I drive our twins down to school. I always sit after they get out of the van and watch as they walk into the building together. I still get teary sometimes and I still pray as they do. I thank God for everyday that they walk into that building together and I still beg for many, many more days of this very same routine. He has already answered my prayers by allowing Amanda to be here, going to school in her sophomore year, and for that I am so very, very grateful but how I would love to be promised that they will continue to walk together for the remainder of their high school days. Since in my heart I know that none of us are promised tomorrow, for each day that I watch and they walk together, I know that we are truly blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Denise... We've never met but I want you to know that I pray daily for Amanda, for your family, and for a cure for childhood cancer. Your post yesterday about dropping the kids off at school was incredibly touching... and so this morning dropping our kids off at CFS--I was in the car right behind you--I knew just what you were thinking and praying as you watched and waited for them to disappear into the school. I just wanted you to know that I was tearing and praying along with you. :-)

Mackenzie's Mom
(a.k.a. Christine Mayer)

Anonymous said...

Amanda,

We're happy to hear you're back in school! We are thinking about you and praying for you to continue doing well and feeling well every day. We are looking forward to listening to the radio interview. Take care. We love you.

Steve, Nancy & Ethan