Sunday, May 13, 2007

Moments that rise above

It is early Sunday morning, Mother's Day. I have just finished checking the children again. Everyone is tired after a busy day and a very special evening that we spent in honor of Mother's & Father's Day(s).

The first surprise for me was that all six of my children were home. Joshua finished the last of his finals yesterday and had tonight off of work. Haley made a surprise weekend visit home. She must return to college later this afternoon to begin her week of finals. Caleb's plans changed and instead of staying overnight tonight in St. Louis for a soccer tournament he came home and will travel back early this morning for more games. Amanda's transfusion went well and so there was no admittance. Count in Abby and Anna and each piece of my mother's heart is in place. What a gift...actually it is my greatest gift. The times when all of us are gathered together are so rare and so very precious to us.

As we all joined hands and Larry prayed, I couldn't help but look around the table silently thanking God for this gift of our time together and then begging Him for more. I tried to take in every detail hoping to preserve the picture for all time.

After a long, slow supper spent enjoying the food and the laughter we shared together, the children surprised Larry and I with gifts that they had worked together to provide. (Tonight's celebration included Father's day because soon Joshua will be leaving for a summer school program in China and he will not be back in time to honor Father's Day with us.) Each of us was given a package and we were told to open them at the same time. Together we found that we had each received a digital picture frame that allows us to put our camera disk into it and our pictures display inside the frame. Photos can also be downloaded from the computer. What a gift! Here, even now, as I sit at my computer, pictures from a special day during Spring Break involving a go-cart and a lot of mud are cycling through.

Tears came to my eyes as they explained that one frame could travel with us when we had to be away with Amanda, and one frame could stay here. That way, even though we were apart, we could send pictures back and forth to help us feel as though we were sharing a glimpse from our day with each other.

Cancer can steal so much from you, but tonight I was reminded...it can not steal precious memories, it can not steal the laughter and the love we share, it can not steal the thoughtfulness that is being developed in my children's hearts as we go through this battle, it cannot break the bond that we have as a family. And it can not steal from me the thankfulness that I have for my own Godly mother, Audrey, and the other Godly women who have mothering roles in my life. Their examples and their love continue to guide and inspire me as I mother through the years.

Someone once asked me if there was ever a moment when I forgot that Amanda had cancer. The answer I told them was no, never. Even when we are walking together holding hands and laughing, or curled up in the dark quietly talking, I never forget. But as I think more about it, I think my answer would now be that although I never forget, there are moments that rise above it. Moments that even cancer can't touch.

To each of my mothers and to my dear friends as they mother their children, Happy Mother's Day. I love you. May each of your days be filled with moments that circumstances cannot touch, moments that rise above.


Joshua, Haley, Abby, Anna, Caleb and Amanda's blessed mom

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

McDaniels Family: We are so happy for you to be able to have this special time together with your ENTIRE family. With one of ours so far away, we know very well how special those "together" times are for you. I'd say your children have learned well from both their parents and knew that the family being all together is the most special of all and what thoughtful and wonderful presents you were given also. Please know that we continue praying for Amanda and all of you.
Faye

Anonymous said...

I love you, Denise...

Amy

Anonymous said...

I love you too, Denise.
God bless you all.
Happy Mother's Day!
Annette

Anonymous said...

you almost brought tears to my eyes as i read this, it's great that you guys will be able to send those pictures, just remeber that we're all praying
-Tabitha

Anonymous said...

Dear Ones,
Amanda is covered by "participant GRACE" these days, and the rest of you are feeling an abundance of "spectator GRACE" flow over and thru you........as we pray and wait together.......

Sue Teague Gradwell