Saturday, February 27, 2010

Seize the day ... and other quotes.

First, the health related news ... Amanda has completed all treatment options at this point, and we are now utilizing hospice care as needed.

And now ... for the really important stuff ...
Amanda is a pro at getting the most out of every day. When I grow up, I want to be like her.

Today it was with her good friend Lydia ... going out to eat at Applebee's and then just hanging out this afternoon. I was reminded of the quote ... "Spend the afternoon. You can't take it with you." ~Annie Dillard

As I sat here thinking about this day, and the well known and oft repeated phrase, Carpe diem, I decided to check into it a little further. It is actually a phrase from a latin poem by Horace, roughly translated meaning to enjoy or make use of the day as much as possible. A more complete version of the phrase says, "Seize the day, trusting as little as possible in the future." The reason is because the future is unknowable.

Which reminds me of another quote ... actually it's an African proverb as I recall ... "No one knows the story of tomorrow's dawn."

And then of course there are multiple bible verses speaking to this ... probably the most often quoted would be, "So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34

And I don't want to leave out a dear friend who is Jewish ... he would quote Hillel, saying, "And if not now, when?"

While I am speaking of "Seize the day," I will leave you with a funny story that illustrates making the most of an opportunity.
* * *
A young soldier and his commanding officer got on a train together. The only available seats were across from an attractive young woman who was traveling with her grandmother. As they engaged in pleasant conversation, the soldier and the young woman kept eyeing one another; the attraction was obviously mutual.

Suddenly the train went into a tunnel and the car became pitch black. Immediately two sounds were heard: the "smack" of a kiss, and the "whack" of a slap across the face.

The grandmother thought "I can't believe he kissed my granddaughter, but I'm glad she gave him the slap he deserved."

The commanding officer thought, "I don't blame the boy for kissing the girl, but it's a shame that she missed his face and hit me instead."

The young girl thought, "I'm glad he kissed me, but I wish my grandmother hadn't slapped him for doing it."

And as the train broke into the sunlight, the soldier could hardly wipe the smile off his face. He had just seized the opportunity to kiss a pretty girl and slap his commanding officer ... and had gotten away with both!
* * *
Be well,
larry

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sonshine! (yes, I do know how I spelled it, thank you) Loved the video of ya cheerin, and thanks for sending the pic. I'm a little jealous of your up coming trip (gramma leaves here Thurs. I believe). Love ya, miss ya, and hope to see ya soon to give ya a big hug! Take care hon, uncle Doo

Anonymous said...

You know Larry, I think your statement "when I grow up, I want to be like Amanda" could be true for many of us. She certainly continues to be an inspiration to us all and, through this blog, has touched the lives of SO many. We continue to lift Amanda and all of your family up in prayer. Wayne and Faye

Anonymous said...

The faith of a mustard seed. The faith of Amanda. She is pleasing to Him. She continues to minister to me.

Anonymous said...

Denise

Please email me at geowelling@hotmail.com - thank you - Mike Cooper

Anonymous said...

Every day you have with Amanda has such value, cherish it, enjoy it, live it!!! She has, by her own example, shown you how to proceed---joyously and with abandon. She loves all of you so much and chooses to make the most of the time she does have....

May God richly bless Amanda's days, may He strengthen and uphold all of you gifted by her presence in your lives....

Just someone in Iowa who carries you all around in her thoughts and prayers...

Anonymous said...

Thanks again for the lesson of "little things." We all need to remember....We are praying for all of you.

Lloyd and Elaine

Tronda said...

Take care to all of you.God bless. You have been truley blessed in life. She has taught us all something which is to live.So many of us do not do that and walk in this world with our eyes shut! She has hers wide open and has accepted things most of us do not have the strenght nore the faith to do.She has inspired me which I needed. I realize how petty I can be and silly it is.May God carry you on this journey. I know he already is. Take care!

The Robbs said...

McDaniel Family,
We are praying for you. We are in awe of your courage, grace and love for the Lord. If there is anything we can do to help, please call us. Luke loves to cook and bake, so we would love to bring you dinner or goodies this week. Just let us know.
Love,
Mark, Danette & Luke