Monday, December 14, 2009

On a hill up ahead

It was a long, but very quiet day for Amanda and I. Most of it was spent napping in waiting room chairs or playing cards. We only had two appointments, but true to "MD Anderson time" we were there before 8:00 this morning and did not get back to our hotel until after 5:00 this evening.

Our appointments consisted of Amanda's last LMTPPE infusion. Unfortunately, since the cancer came back while Amanda was on it, there is no point in continuing it at this time. Next, we did her assessment in preparation for tomorrow's procedures.

Tomorrow morning we will check Amanda in for the first two of three procedures that she will have done over the next two days. Tomorrow the cryoablation (the freezing of the tumor in her left side) and the vertebroplasty (the heating and cementing of the spot on her spine) will take place. Following those, Amanda will be admitted into the hospital for an overnight stay so that they may observe her. Presuming that she tolerates those two procedures well, on Wednesday they will then go in and complete the nephrostomy procedure (the placement of the tube to clear her kidney). Again she will be kept in the hospital, with her release dependent upon how quickly she recovers from these three procedures.

Sunday, Amanda and I took Larry to the airport so that he could head back home. Amanda and I miss him but were thrilled that Abby was able to come into Houston this evening. The sisters are so happy to be together again (we have really missed Abby while she was away at college) and it will be wonderful for me to have her here with me during the hours of Amanda's procedures.

Journeys consist of peaks and valleys. This place we walk now feels very low. But ahead, on a hill, we can see Christmas. Between here and there, the path is rough. It is frightening and we can't see very far ahead of each step. It doesn't even seem certain that we will have the strength to get there. But the significance of that day gives us the will to continue on. A baby is there. The one we celebrate this holiday season, the one who came for us...the sick and the hurting.

That's why we continue on...we want to see Jesus.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I admire the McDaniel family. I admire you, Denise. In circumstances that would bring many of us to our knees, you have been able to muster up the strength to gather your family close and refocus their thoughts to the significance of Christmas, providing comfort and easing their fears. You've done this throughout the journey. I admire Abby for being such a loving sister. What a beautiful child -- shaving her head so that her sister wouldn't feel alone. I admire all the siblings for the joy they find in one another. I admire Larry for his strength, courage and the very evident love he has for his children. I admire Amanda for being who she is. I haven't even met the family but I admire you.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said it well. We contiue to pray for you,

We don't know how you do it. Your faith is certainly an example to all.

Elaine and Lloyd

Unknown said...

Denise, I haven't seen you since you were a little girl and you probably don't remember me or my children, Joe, Jennifer, and Jeff. But I remember you and David so well as little ones. I am so impressed that you have grown into this lovely woman who has such courage and faith. God bless you and your wonderful Amanda. I follow your family on the blogspot.

Dottie Evans