It is Thursday evening and I have just left the hospital. Abby, is staying with Amanda tonight...it helps to sometimes have a sister to snuggle up with. (Thanks for your night as well, Haley.)
These have been four very long days. We knew this was a strong chemo when we began; however, I don't think any of us were prepared for how difficult it would be for Amanda. I believe the combination of her very recent surgery, along with the days of continuous chemo flowing have combined to make this her most difficult chemo treatment yet. She is very uncomfortable and unfortunately, struggling with nausea.
We are using a new drug to help keep her comfortable and it seems to be fairly effective, and we are grateful for that.
As long as there are no complications, we will released on Sunday afternoon. Until then, we pass the hours thankful for the long visits and support she receives from all her siblings (you guys are the best), the prayers & cards of encouragement, reading the incredible notebook from the Joplin Tournament (THANK YOU NORTH COUNTY & everyone who signed it...WHAT A TREASURE THAT IS!), and snuggled up together.
Sometimes that is the best medicine of all.
Thursday, March 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I have a son that attends North County Christian and I have been following your story and courageous battle. I have a co-worker in St. Louis who has a 19 yo daughter with osteosarcoma (distal femur) who has just been getting chemo for spots on her lungs. Hope is tall and thin with the same features as Amanda, it is though I am looking at sisters. I told her your story and she would very much like to contact you, she has a daughter in Columbia going to school. She would like to visit and share what Hope is going thru, I know she could use some encouragement as well. She has 6 kids and is strong in her faith.
I am not sure how to have her contact you, but will try to call Val at NCCS and get some info. You can email me at celltellusertalk@gmail.com and I will send Sue's info. My thoughts are with you and your family and Sue and her family as well.
My husband and I went to high school with Andy U and I am a 3 year sarcoma survivor. I know there are many drugs you could be taking, but Ifex is one I took and has the continuous infusion you are now doing. It is a very strong drug with significant side effects. It is one that Lance Armstrong also took and is talked about in his book. Reading how weak he was made me feel like I was actually doing pretty well, even though I couldn't stand up for 5 minutes without passing out. You've been in my prayers since I saw your struggle on Andy's blog, and with God's Grace hopefully this is close to the end of your treatments.
Amanda and Family, we are so sorry that this chemo is even more of a struggle for Amanda. Her little body has endured so much and yet she continues to fight,keep the faith and let her joy shine through. Please know that all of you continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. Thanks so much for the update and may God continue to pour His blessings upon you and may you continue to draw strength day by day from Him.
Wayne and Faye
We can't begin to comprehend what you continue to go through. We are amazed by Amanda's determination and your faithfulness to share with us.
We pray Amanda will regain strength soon and be able to go home Sunday.
Elaine and Lloyd
So sorry that this struggle is such a hard and difficult pull for Amanda (and her supportive family). I'm sitting here at the computer feeling the weight of the situation and I promise to lift all of you up in prayer, especially sweet Amanda who has managed to push through so many difficulties with faith, trust and a joyful spirit. I pray that she will be able to leave the hospital tomorrow and that this chemo will put to an end the cancer she's been fighting once and for all.
May God bless you richly, may He hold you all close in the palm of His hand and I pray that He sends grace upon grace to bear you all up.
Denise, just fyi, liquid kytrol (I may not have spelled that right) was the only nausea medicine that worked for Kevin. If Amanda is still getting sick she may want to try it. All our love and prayers...
Post a Comment