Friday, March 13, 2009

Catching You Up

It has been a week since we finally arrived back home from our time in Houston. We are so thankful to be back together as a family but we have noticed that it seems to be taking longer to get re-adjusted.

This surgery took a lot more out of Amanda (and even Larry and I) than any other that Amanda has faced. And although we are grateful for the way she moved through the surgery and the initial recovery stages, the continuing recovery for this procedure has been much more uncomfortable and slower for her.

Amanda has two long incisions located on each side that lie between two ribs. It is through those incisions that they reached in to deflate each lung and remove the spots. Because a number of muscles were cut, activities such as turning, pulling herself up and even taking deep breaths can cause sharp pain. Thankfully, her last few days have been much more comfortable and I am happy to say that she has finally felt strong enough to go back to school and was able to return to a full day yesterday (Wednesday).

Regarding her continuing treatment, it will look something like this...

1) Although we believe the surgery was successful in removing all of the spots from Amanda's lungs, the unfortunate truth is that it just takes one small cancer cell to cause her problems again. We don't want to take any chances. So, Amanda will be admitted to Univ. Hospital this Monday for a week long infusion of follow up chemo.

2) In early April we will return to Houston for some post-surgical check-ups and scans to see how her lungs are healing.

3) If her counts and chemical levels rebound well and stay in the safe zone, she will have a second week long infusion of this chemo in the middle of April.

4) Two rounds of this chemo are all that they anticipate they will give to Amanda. At this time Dr. Anderson is considering then using an oral chemo pill. I do not have any more details about that at this time, but will share them as I learn them.

5) Amanda's future will involve a lot of routine scans. Her lungs will need to be watched very closely as they heal and for any sign of additional spots. Most of these will be done here in Columbia, with occasional ones done in Houston under Dr. Anderson's supervision.


And finally, I am happy to share with you on our last day in Houston we were able to get Amanda's new leg adjusted. The test socket we were using had become quite uncomfortable for Amanda as the area of her amputation had changed size as it finished the healing process. It took all day but dear Robyn worked with Amanda and quite literally rebuilt the socket and repositioned the leg so that it would work better for her. We have brought this 'new' leg home and as Amanda feels able she will use it until we return to Houston. At that time, if all shapes and sizes have stayed the same, the new, soft, permanent socket will be created for Amanda. She can't wait!

We are home. Tired and still somewhat disorganized but together with our dear family and friends. And, as I am reminded in my Bible...in my weakness He is shown strong.

Trusting you see His strength as we continue on,

Denise

6 comments:

LA Kohl said...

Wow...I'm constantly amazed at all that Amanda (and you all) continually deal with, without grumbling and complaining. We'll be praying that next week passes VERY quickly for all of you, and that God continues to give you grace for each and every moment. We love you guys! Lori

Anonymous said...

I know it was hard for Amanda to be at school during our site visit, but I know they were deeply moved by the opportunity to meet her when they met with the Student Council representatives. I personally would have been so sad if they did not get to meet our "shining star" when they were here. Thank you, Amanda, for coming in even though you were not feeling well. You are deeply loved.

Mrs. Schauwecker

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the update, Denise.

I picture being "on my knees" for all of you...you all are continually on my heart.

Love you, Sue Gradwell, for all the Mt. Vernon faithful ~~

Anonymous said...

Wow, you continually amaze me with your strength, fortitude, and most importantly your faith.... I have nothing in my life to compare at this moment, therefor, I have no business complaining, whining or feeling sorry for myself. You have helped learn how to take each day as it comes in complete trust, to appreciate what I do have,the love of my family and friends and most importantly the ability to accept from God's hands all that will happen to me.

I pray that God will continue to bless you richly, will give you the graces to go forward and I pray that it will be in His Holy Will to give Amanda a full healing.

Know as you continue one that prayers support you and will continue........Just someone in Iowa who follows you journey and truly cares....God bless.

alchemy77 said...

I've been reading your updates for over a year and praying for several. Though I've never met you personally Amanda, you've impacted my life as well. Keep smiling honey!

Blessings & Health!!!!!

Jody

Anonymous said...

Hi, My name is Susan Schaberg and I live in St. Charles, MO. A co-worker of mine emailed me your blog. Her son plays sports at a private school in St.Louis and competes against Amanda's school.

One of my daughters, now 19, was also diagnosed with osteosarcoma found in the distal femur in her right leg December 2006. She was able to have limb-sparing surgery and 21 chemo treatments. We thought we were done with it, but a lung scan on the one year anniversary of finishing chemo showed spots in her right lung had grown significantly. A lung biopsy came back positive for osteosarcoma. Children's Hospital in St. Louis has little left they can offer her. We are getting second opinions and researching alternative and complementary therapies.
So far we have been to the Cancer Center of America in Zion, IL and are considering M.D.Anderson.
My husband and I will keep your Amanda in our prayers.
We have a daughter that lives in Columbia that works at Clover's.
I would really like to speak or correspond with you and maybe even meet you sometime when visiting my daughter in Columbia.

My phone number is (636)946-8781, and my email address is hotflashsusan@yahoo.com.