Sunday, July 22, 2007

Easy to be with ...

Some personalities mix better than others ... sort of like some chemical compounds have different reactions when combined. Some personalities, like some chemical compounds, can be very explosive if not handled with great care. As the father of six wonderful children and the director of a children's home, I am well aware of what are sometimes called "personality clashes." As one family therapist put it, "I am often approached by a parent with the words, 'We seem to have a personality clash.' We tend to use the term "Personality Clash" when we dearly love our children but wind up with our children feeling very irritated with us, us feeling very irritated with them, and both of us getting very annoyed with each other."

There are some compounds, and personalities, however, that anyone can handle and no worry need be had regarding volatility. In other words, some people are just really easy to be with. I most likely am not one of those kind of people, but Amanda most definitely is. In fact, Amanda is so good at it, I think I probably only know three or four other people on the planet who do it so well. I have watched this girl for just shy of 16 years wake up each day and go to bed each night with a smile on her face and love for others in her heart. She is a visual aid of the fruit of the spirit, spoken of in the bible.

This week ....
Tomorrow we start our appointments at 8:00 and should be done early afternoon. Denise and Haley are flying in tomorrow as well, and will probably be at the apartment by the time Amanda and I return from the hospital.

On Tuesday I will be flying back home ... Haley will be staying here with Denise and Amanda for the remainder of the week, and then flying back herself.

Mail ...
Mail is a good thing. Thanks to Aunt Becky for the movie .... that was a good idea and really made Amanda smile. She didn't have that one of the classics.

But cards or letters or anything are nice to get. She opens each one of them with a smile. It's just another way for Amanda to stay connected with her world back home. So far we're doing pretty good in that department. Also, over the course of the next few weeks, some visitors from back home are coming to see Amanda for a few days here and there.

The toughest part will probably be the last 3 weeks or so .... summer ending ... school starting back home without her ... etc. ... so, please be especially mindful then. Of course, as I've reminded Amanda, by then this whole Houston thing will be about over ... so .... we can do this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"It is clear to me that the hand of God is upon her." From Dad's mouth to God's ears.

It has always amazed me that God picks us up and puts us exactly where He wants us to be. So has been the case with Amanda. Three distinguished hospital's, each with something new to add to the process of treatment, all in different states. Some may call that luck, but I call it blessings.

It's fun to know that you are able to find fun and adventure outside the confines of the hospital.

God bless the McDaniel family.

Karen Kinkead said...

I enjoy your posts and agree with the first comment, Amanda is blessing so many others with her attitude and love.

Blessings to all of you,