Saturday, May 29, 2010

Corrie Ten Boom

As most of you know, Larry and I came to be the parents of six incredible children through personal tragedy. For him, it was after a brave battle and the loss of his dear wife; for me, the unexpected knock at the door which told me of an accident that took the life of my dear husband. At the time, neither of us could have known that there could be any pain greater...

But our child. Eighteen years old - an adult, legally - but still our child. Our baby actually. She and Caleb were the youngest of our siblings. There is no comparison. The hopes, the dreams, the plans of a future filled with joy and love and laughter and service to others...to have those taken from us as well remind us that this loss will stay with us forever.

But you remind us that we do not bear this loss alone. That came through clearly when we saw the number of you who were able to attend the visitation and funeral service in Amanda's honor. It continues in the comforting words which have been spoken or written in cards, the acts of kindness that shine through each plate of food, bouquet of flowers, or donation made. Each of these are a balm to our broken hearts. Your stories and memories affirm for us that you also carry Amanda with you and in doing so we know that her life - her memory - will continue on, long after we have gone to join her.

At this time we are especially aware of her role and her impact on the lives of her classmates. It's graduation time here for our seniors. And to Larry, Caleb and I, this time is most bittersweet. We celebrate and congratulate the class of 2010 and all of their accomplishments in achieving this milestone. We took pictures - lots of pictures - of our handsome son and his peers dressed for a senior banquet and their prom. We applauded each academic award that was issued to the kids and shared an a wonderful supper in their honor. We appreciated each kind word spoken in Amanda's honor and the respect and love that was shown on her behalf. And then Larry and I came home and again grieved her absence.

When we married, Larry and I were given a wall hanging with these words on it...

Every experience God gives us,
every person He puts in our lives,
is the perfect preparation for a future
that only He can see.
- Corrie Ten Boom

We have it hanging in our room, our daughter, Haley, and her husband, Matt, used it in their wedding bulletin, and I would now offer these words to the class of 2010.

Have an incredible future. Remember all you have walked and learned these past years, both the good and the painful. You are prepared. Your parents, your teachers, your friends...all of them have helped prepare you for your future. Take Amanda's story - your story - with you and share it. Someone, somewhere will come into your life and need to hear what you have learned. When you share it, when you pass it on, you will again share Amanda. And that will allow her life - her testimony - to continue on.

So congratulations again. You are each so dear to us and were dear to our daughter. My son, Caleb, you may never fully understand just how proud your dad and I are of you and the way that you have walked these past four years. We love you dearly and are excited to see all that your future holds for you.

And to Amanda - wow. What a class to be a part of. What an role you played in their lives and in the lives of so many in this community and even beyond. I am so very proud of you, my darling...

I just miss you so...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I open this blog almost everyday to look at her picture and ask the Lord to give me a fraction of the faith He gave Amanda, I am faltering so, with a possible serious diagnosis in front of me. I only wish I could have spent one day on a big shaded porch with a pitcher of lemonade with Amanda to ask her face to face to share with me how to believe like her. She will NEVER be forgetton and I hope you never take down this blog that is her ministry.
I was telling my husband that I wanted to know the story of the McDaniels and how you came to be and yep, that prayer was answered today. Someday when you can, or if you desire I wish that you could blog of more of your background and share what God puts on your heart, because Amanda's ministry continues through you.
She was physically so pretty here but can you imagine what she looks like now.
I will open this again to read about her life and journey and all the sweet adventures she created and experienced, but will also look for those gems that feed that inner part of me.
You have my deepest sympathy and I cry with you each time she comes to mind.

Tracy said...

Amanda and your family are indeed an inspiration. The faith that you all have shown through this difficult time is amazing. I have followed your blog for the last year or so and was heartbroken to hear of Amanda's passing. I do believe that God will continue to use Amanda to minister to others. These past couple of weeks I have often thought of your earlier post from Amanda's Bible, and it gives me strength. What an amazing person she was! Your family is in my thoughts and prayers as you navigate this difficult time.

Anonymous said...

So many times throughout this last year, as I have faced horrid challenges, defeat and despair, God used Amanda to shine through His hope, His peace, His life.
Her story does go on, it keeps growing, it keeps giving hope and life.
Her blog continues even now to bring hope and life to those deep wounds that only tragedy can bring on. It brings the reality of Jesus' peace. God did and continues to do so with Amanda's life as well as with your guys as parents. The reality of the grace and stregth that He's given you is tangible and something I long for in my own life.
You guys are loved..even from a far in places you'll never know.
Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Denise, you write so eloquently amid all the grief you and Larry and the rest of the family have and will continue to have. The words you share are an inspiration and encouragement to us. We continue to pray for all of you. Elaine and Lloyd

Anonymous said...

Denise, your last paragraph is SO true. I have so many friends, as I know many other people do, that have told me how Amanda has touched their lives and they never even met her. I truly believe her legacy of faith and steadfastness will continue on and both you and Larry did such an exemplary job these past 3+ years with your writings on Amanda's blog that it touched the hearts of many. Love and prayers continue for all of you. Wayne and Faye

Anonymous said...

What an inspiration you and your family have become for so many of us!! I will never forget that smiling face that looks out at us from the blog. You write so eloquently. Please continue to write for the rest of us to follow your inspiring journey. We will never forget Amanda and her family.