Thursday, April 01, 2010

These Days

I know that we are suppose to believe that time is equal...that all days have 24 hours and each of us lives through those hours at the same pace, the same opportunity to fill or waste them as the next person..but it sometimes seems hard for me to remember that. We all know that there are days when time seems to fly by and others when the hands on the clock barely seem to move. But there must be a third awareness and that is when you don't think about time because you are so totally focused on each moment and the responses and demands that are required. I think that is where I am.

Our days here seem to slide, one quietly into the next. It isn't that each one isn't precious - that is not the case at all. The time that we spend together as a family is the best part of each day. And these last days have held some great family time. Last week we enjoyed some days with Abby who came home for a break. The girls loved having sister time with her. Haley and Matt arrived for an extended stay thanks to a gracious leave of absence from her school that allows her to stay here with us for a time. Having them back in Columbia again is a gift to both us and Matt's dear family as well. And a much anticipated Spring Break has given us more time to enjoy Caleb, dear cousins and other friends from CFS. Their visits always mean so much to Amanda and the laughter they add is a treat to us all.


Our routine also now includes visits three days a week from Mary, our hospice nurse (who is already becoming quite dear to us), and daily radiation treatments to help with the severe pain that Amanda was experiencing from the pressure the tumor is putting on the nerves in her hip and upper thigh. We have just completed the 10th one and can have up to 10 more depending on how long Amanda continues to tolerate the travel and to get relief from them.


There are also moments of joy and emotion which time can not effect. A visit from Mr. Richens (the girl's soccer coach) and a couple of senior players had our complete attention when they came bearing a new soccer jersey for Amanda with her number #14 on it. Amanda proudly wore it when we took her to watch her dear Knights team play a home game last week.

And time doesn't matter at all when plans and questions and memories want to be shared while the rest of the world sleeps. In the dark and the quiet some of our most significant moments take place.

So please forgive me when it takes too long to update. We are so very thankful for each of you that check this site and have taken Amanda into your hearts and your prayers.

It's just that my clock hasn't been working too well...

denise

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me and my family are thinking of you and praying for your family. We all love you. I miss you and your smile. I hope to see you soon.
<3 Bethany and the Eubanks family

Anonymous said...

Continuing to pray for you--even in the middle of the night in those dark and quiet moments. May you feel God's loving arms wrapped tightly around you as He effortlessly reaches out to you! Loving Amanda and all of you...
someone from Iowa.

Anonymous said...

Continuing to pray for you--even in the middle of the night in those dark and quiet moments. May you feel God's loving arms wrapped tightly around you as He effortlessly reaches out to you! Loving Amanda and all of you...
someone from Iowa.

Anonymous said...

I do not know your family personally, the site was passed to me through a student of your daughter's. I have been through your journey from the opposite end. I cared for my mother for a year. It has been two years since her homegoing. I would not trade anything for those moments. I completely understand the gentle, bittersweet times in the middle of the night. I still have trouble sleeping and feel her near at those times. It was my honor and privilege to serve her during those times as I know it is yours. I cannot even pretend to know how you deal with this when it is your own child, but know this, many, many people are praying for your family and your sweet Amanda. God is good and He will give you that blanket of peace which truly does pass all understanding. In His Love.

Anonymous said...

Denise, Larry, Amanda--as always, you spend your time in the wisest ways. So glad your family has been able to gather together. That love is powerful medicine for you all. Prayers for peaceful sleep, smiles in spite of your troubles, and treasured moments together day and night. May the Lord bless you and keep you, and hold you all in the palm of His hand. Love to you, Jodie

Anonymous said...

I have never seen such love in a dear family as yours. I am a mother of a friend of yours and I have followed this story since the very beginning. Amanda is one of the bravest and loving little girls I have ever seen. God has had a great purpose for Amanda and it shows with her family, friends and everyone she comes across. Such a beautiful person. May God Bless You All.
someone from Mo.

Anonymous said...

I read in a book once that a day is as a thosand years. You guys keep making each day last forever! We miss ya, but know that our prayers, and thoughts are with you always. So are the hugs and kisses.
Uncle Doo, and Tara

Anonymous said...

Thank you, dear one, for taking the time to update for us.....our hearts, prayers, and thoughts ARE totally with you !

Aren't we so thankful for this Easter season.....one of hope because of the One who lives !

All my love, Sue Gradwell

Sherryl said...

Mary? Mary was Scott's nurse. I wonder if it is the same one. She was perfect for Scott!

Thinking of you and praying for you.

Sherryl