Tuesday, March 16, 2010

What Cancer Didn't Do This Week

Over the last week we have lived with the reality of what cancer can do...it can cause pain that is difficult to control. It can grow faster and spread more quickly than we had hoped. It can cause us to spend hours and hours having scans to try and find the source of the new pain and some way to alleviate the discomfort it is causing. It can bring tears from places deep inside of our hearts that we never even knew could hurt so badly.

But we also know what cancer did not do this week.

It did not stop the pride and appreciation that we felt when Amanda was able to attend chapel at her school and participate in a special award ceremony where she received the "First Knight Award". This award, voted on by the staff and seniors of her school is given each year to a senior who exemplifies the qualities of a knight. It is a great honor to receive this recognition and we thank everyone for choosing our daughter as the recipient.

It did not stop the smiles and the laughter as the students of Amanda and Caleb's class all gathered around her in their new "Team Amanda" t-shirts for fun and photos.

It did not stop the wonderful spirit that Amanda continues to display as she wrapped her new crutches in tie-dye duct tape. (Thanks for the tip, Abby!) Yes, purple and blue tie-dye. Cool.

It did not stop the joy Amanda felt when she was finally able to visit Haley's first classroom and see where she and Matt live in Arkansas.

It did not stop her beautiful smile (or our silent tears) as Amanda came out of a dressing room to show us "her dream dress"...a beautiful tulle layered prom dress that was "just what she always hoped she would wear one day". It is a vision that I will carry with me always and our greatest joy to be able to purchase it for her and make that dream come true.

It most certainly did not stop the incredible love and support that Amanda continues to receive from family and friends and those of you who support us through this site. The expressions of love, the words of encouragement and the prayers prayed on Amanda's behalf are always appreciated and felt.

And it will never, ever be able to stop the joy we feel in each day that we are together with our daughter. For every smile we share, quiet laugh we have, and memory that we make, nothing can take that from our hearts.

This week cancer did some things we couldn't stop...but we did more - much more - that it couldn't stop.

With thanks for what we have that can't be taken,

denise

19 comments:

Deborah Brown said...

hey amanda, do you remember those days back in 7th grade where-ever we walked by Deb, the store in the mall, you would always talk about the recent dresses you had tried on, or what we would wear to prom one day? I think you took a picture there too, in a dress at Sephanies Birthday sleepover, where we had a savanger hunt with a polaroid camera.
Those were the good days, and memories I won't ever forget. I Love u Manda (and flo.) trust me. I have prove that flo was your best friend for a while.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your posts. I check this site several times daily to see how the McDaniel family is doing and I oftentimes smile when I read the latest post. And I always shed some tears and send some prayers for your family. You have my heart.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your past week! Love ya more then can be said. Miss ya, and hope to see ya soon. Uncle Doo

Anonymous said...

I believe God gives everyone a spiritual gift. Amanda, I feel that God has filled you with MANY gifts. With every step you take, you inspire and uplift me. You are a blessing to anyone who has a chance to have gotten to know you - even if only through this post. I pray for you and your entire family everyday and I thank God that He has given you the strength you demonstrate on your journey. You are truly loved by all who have been touched by you.

Anonymous said...

Just checking in from Iowa, as I have become accustomed... Amanda (and all of you, her beautiful family) have found a true home in my heart, in my daily thoughts and prayers...

I was sent this blog years ago in a prayer request and from the moment I clicked to the site and started reading I was hooked "line and sinker" as they say, by the absolute beauty of this family's love and faith. I have felt drawn in a profound way, as have so many others who follow your blog... We, in some beautiful way, have been allowed to walk beside you as you have shouldered your cross...

God has truly gathered us, you walk with an army of souls...

Prayers continue from Iowa

Anonymous said...

Amanda - We love you!

Anonymous said...

Even cancer has a silver lining..

Because of cancer...
...you have had a platform to touch the lives of so many you will never meet this side of Heaven
...you have inspired a school to build deep and precious friendships, laying aside the petty stuff that so often plagues teen friendships
...you have inspired a city, yes, even a NATION - to live each day to its fullest, never taking tomorrow for granted
...you have drawn a precious family even closer
...you have shined and shined and shined reflecting the grace that only God can give.

Amanda, you have lived more life in your 18 years than many will live in 80.

Well done, Amanda, well done!!!

Anonymous said...

Not exactly anonymous. Still praying for you. Posted on my Facebook:

"Is it OK to think and make mention of special friends who have cancer...right here? My friend, Charles Fuller, used to say how he hated cancer. I do too. I do not thank the LORD enough that he has healed both Vickie and I from cancer. Father, I thank you right now for healing us...and I pray right now for those who still battle cancer."

http://www.facebook.com/jowelbe?ref=mf#!/jowelbe?v=wall&ref=mf

I would like to think of you as a special friend, Amanda, although I do not personally know you.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post, Denise.....we are praying with you, you know that.

All my love, Sue Gradwell

Anonymous said...

Read this today and thought of you:

Still "joyful always, praying continuously, and giving thanks in all circumstances" (1 Thess. 5:16-18)

You truly live this and your lives reflect it in all that you do and say.

You have shown us that there truly is joy in the journey, even amidst great difficulties...

We all are humbled and learning as we walk at your side... You help us to shoulder our own crosses as you point out the beauty you still manage to find along the way...

Surely God awaits you with His arms stretched out wide, so pleased with your faith and fidelity, your trust in Him....

Prayers continue...

Anonymous said...

I happened on this wonderful blog and it has touched me. I am forever blessed by your wonderful spirit. Thank you for sharing your life with me. I will be praying for your awesome family. I

Anonymous said...

amanda and the rest of the fam,
i have a confession: a couple years ago i printed off a copy of the sign you, amanda, made that said "did i glorify God in everything i did today?". that sign, and you amanda, are such a blessing to me. you have got it right. hopefully some of your wisdom is rubbing off on me through the stories your parents tell about you on this blog!! we (the penn's) love and care for you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
love always,
lauren o.

5dodds said...

http://www.cleaningforareason.org

Denise & Larry,

I don't know if you have heard about this or if you are interested but thought I would pass it on.
Love and praying for you guys!

Nolanda

Becky said...

loving You all from Arkansas.

Anonymous said...

You are all such an inspiration! I pray for you, Amanda, and your family every day. I pray God gives you peace and comfort at this difficult time. You are truly an awesome family! May God continue to bless you all. Suzanne - a Lisbon/Federated friend.

Anonymous said...

He is good, He is enough and Amanda as well as the rest of you guys are living that out for the world to see.
Thank you...for clinging to God and making His grace, sufficiency. comfort and peace a reality we can see and touch.
He will continue to sustain and comfort you...

JoeD said...

We are so blessed to have Amanda as both a friend and classmate. We are praying for you always, are and will always be inspired by your steadfast bravery and graciousness.

Trusting in Him,
Joe

Anonymous said...

The army is great in numbers but quiet as we wait in silence for the commnand that is heard in a whisper in a world that is full of static! Only to a few..you Amanda are " the watch man on the wall" for today as we await and live through your journey.Great things are rarely expected or proceived by such as young as you but surely ....you have something to say LET IT BE HEARD GIRL!!!

nicki kohl said...

Thinking and praying for you guys. I check this site often. You are so brave and a tough girl. You truly are an inspiration. Prayers from Hershey, PA. love you cuz!