Monday, April 12, 2010

Raspberry Sorbet

With this Easter holiday now another precious memory, our days here go on.

Living with cancer continues to teach us, to humble us, and to bring us new opportunities to test our faith, strengthen our relationship with each other and create moments that will stay in our hearts.

Last week cancer brought us...

- closer to the completion of our radiation series. In fact, today was the final one. We are so thankful for the dear people of Ellis and the pain relief that Amanda got from this series. Their kindness was as much of a comfort to us as the radiation.

- more time with a dear Grandma, Haley and Matt. It was wonderful having days with my mother here, she is a loving and calming balm to our entire family. Matt and Haley continue to be a blessing with their thoughtfulness and willingness to help meet the care/needs that Amanda now has.

- blood clots. An unfortunate side effect of cancer and immobility is the potential for blood clots. Amanda formed a large one in her upper right thigh. Because of the danger the clot causes for Amanda, we have begun injections that are given twice a day to reduce and coat them. Amanda's confidence in me and my ability to administer the shots is reassuring; and thankfully, the only tears shed when we began were mine.

- more time with special visits from friends and family. These visits remind us of the love and support that we have around us and add laughter - and some great food - to our days! :-)

- family time. Even as I write this our front room is filled with people we love. As Amanda rests on the couch, we are all gathered around her. Larry, Matt, Haley, Anna, Caleb and myself. We talk, we laugh, we sit quiet...it is enough that we are together.

- oh and of course...raspberry sorbet. That is the fingernail polish color that Haley is using as she paints Amanda's nails. A wonderful gift from a thoughtful friend in Colorado was a box filled with items for a home manicure. The beautiful bright nail colors have become a regular routine now for these sisters. I love watching them together as they quietly talk and share this precious sister time.

Who would have ever guessed that cancer would have given me such an appreciation for raspberry sorbet?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your posts. As your family is gathered around Amanda tending to her needs and deriving comfort from one another, the rest of us are gathered together in spirit praying for peace and comfort not only for Amanda but for the entire family. I am filled with admiration for the McDaniel family. You have such a loving, close family. What a testament to you and Larry as parents!

Anonymous said...

I only want to say AMEN to the first post by "anonymous." Our feelings and thoughts expressed exactly! Wayne and Faye

Anonymous said...

I, too, believe it cannot be put any better than the first post. Thanks for sharing and for your testimony to the rest of us. Elaine

Anonymous said...

Once again, you share a :). Love you.

Anonymous said...

As I read your posts, I am reminded that every dark cloud has a silver lining. Your posts have made that abundantly clear. I am also made aware that I would love to help but I feel that if I do, I would be intruding into something that is so very personal for you and your family that I would be taking something special away from you. It is then enough for me to think of and to pray for you as I can't even begin to imagine what you and your family are going through and what a terrible journey you have already passed through. You all must have the strength of Titans. My heart really does go out to you and your entire family. I truly do wish all of you the best as this ordeal will never truly go away for the rest of your lives. A hole is being created that will never be filled in this life. However, a new life and a new beginning WILL take place again in a new place that only the One who has conquered Death, Hell and Rebellion against Abba Father can provide. A place where life eternal awaits for all who truly love God. A place of peace, love joy and overwhelming happiness abound. I sometimes envy Amanda as she will come to know this before others who know Him only through a clouded vail. I wish all of you all the happiness that your hearts can take in; pressed down and shaken until your cup is totally overflowing. My love and best wishes to go out along with my Christ filled heart.

Anonymous said...

I have learned so much about loving, living and perseverance from Amanda and her family...

Reading what others write it seems that they have all learned a great deal as well by you openly sharing your journey with us...God is truly using all you offer up to Him for the greater good, He takes whatever is offered to Him and turns it to Good, even pain, even sorrowful circumstances...

I appreciate that even in these difficult moments for Amanda, you manage to find beauty in each one...You have trained your eyes and hearts to look for it.... Because of you, I've learned to refocus my own eyes to see the good in any given circumstance, to trust that it's there and most importantly, to treasure it....

Here is the scripture I came across this morning that made me think of you:

You yourselves are our letter,
written on our hearts,
known and read by everyone,

You show that you are a letter from Christ...

Not written with ink,
but with the Spirit of the Living God.

It is not written on stone tablets,
but on human hearts.

2 Corinthians3:2-4


This human heart thanks you...

Prayers continue from Iowa...

Rob said...

Dear friends,

I thank you for allowing my family and I to be apart of your family's journey through the posts you put out, that we might: "Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn" (Romans 12:15).

Your stories have been a huge encouragement to me personally, for which I can not be more grateful. Know that my family and I are constantly praying for all of you and thanking God for you.-Rob Penn

Anonymous said...

Jewels, precious stones...you seem to overflow with such gems and His glory is so clearly reflected from them.

God reminded me of where they are found - in places that are dark and hard. May He give you many precious gems during these dark and hard times.

Denise's new best friend

Anonymous said...

Still loving you and praying and holding you all up to our Father for His continued strength and peace ~~~~

All my love, Sue Gradwell, Mt. Vernon

Eva Williams said...

Hi Amanda, you don't know me but I went to High School with your Dad. It is truly amazing to read about Coyote Hill, your family and your life. I have a feeling you have a lot of love surrounding you and I hope you find comfort in that love. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Diane said...

Your family is in our thoughts and prayers.