Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Champion State of Mind

The essay at the end of this post was written by Nathaniel Duker, very good friend and classmate of Caleb and Amanda's during their entire school years K-12. It is about being a champion. You will see that Nathaniel writes about how Amanda was a champion.

This essay is also part of a contest that Nathaniel has entered, where he can win up to $10,000 to help pay for his college.

Please vote for Nathaniel (you can do so once per day until November 28). Also, please pass the word along to all your other friends. This will be a great opportunity to help one of Caleb and Amanda's friends win a very worthwhile prize.

To vote click on this link. The first time you will have to enter your email address on the left side. Then fill out the information to register your email address to vote. Then click on the "Vote Now" button. Then the "Vote for Me" button to the right of my picture.

Following is what Nathaniel wrote about Amanda and being a champion.

Champion State of Mind

Being a champion is a state of mind more than an accomplishment on a field. What I have accomplished on the field is just the by-product of my state of mind. One is not a champion because s/he wins. But rather, s/he wins because s/he is a champion. Champions first believe in themselves, but more importantly, they believe in others as well. Champions always look for the way through the difficulties and do not get overwhelmed and paralyzed by the ever-present obstacles.

The greatest champion I have ever known died of cancer recently, my high school classmate, Amanda McDaniel. She was so brave and encouraging. She never complained or felt sorry for her afflictions. For several years, each day was a new contest. After each surgery, treatment, negative diagnosis or loss of limb, she arose, took to the field – never complaining, never quitting and never choosing the bench. She met and fought her battle courageously inspiring a contagions courage in those who knew her. She is my hero in so many ways and Amanda defines the ultimate selfless-champion.

Cancer may have taken Amanda’s body, but she never let it have her life. A little of her courage lives on deep inside of me today. Each time I lace up my basketball shoes, soccer cleats, or track shoes, I know that win or lose, I am a champion; and like Amanda. I will never choose the bench.

I have learned that champions:
Believe in themselves
Believe in others
Look for the way through obstacles
Take the field and never choose the bench.

4 comments:

Marsha said...

I'm voting for Nathaniel every day!

Anonymous said...

A little of Amanda lives on in all of us who were blessed to know of her....

Just voted again for Nathaniel,

God's richest blessings from Iowa...

Anonymous said...

Out of the mouth of babes comes true words of wisdom. Excellent essay, Nathaniel!! It has also been said that trying never accomplished anything but I think otherwise. Trying is the FIRST step to eventually succeeding. If you never try, you will never succeed. As an adult, we must ALWAYS be ready to encourage our children and our peers to keep trying in EVERYTHING they attempt. Our Lord, Jesus Christ is the only person that NEVER had to try at anything. His actions were always fruitful the first time he did them and he must be our role model in EVERYTHING we do. If we can emulate Him, we will have a much easier life. Keep trying Nathaniel....and keep SUCCEEDING!! Yours is a life that you make for yourself with the help of our Lord Jesus. Amanda tried and succeeded in her battle with cancer but she was only able to because of her faith in Jesus Christ. Now she reaps the reward for her efforts and will spend Eternity in Heaven with all the rest who tried and succeeded because of Christ's efforts on the Cross. God Bless you, Nathaniel and the rest of your Christian Generation!!

Anonymous said...

I didn't see Nathaniel listed among the winners... I'm sorry. I voted every day for him.